Home Remedies

Discuss and Share Health-Related Information & Resources

Moderator: Mauveduh

naynay

Home Remedies

Post by naynay » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:25 pm

I am passing these home remedies for healing and health. I am always interested and sometimes amazed by these different cures that one picks up here and there. Often from the older generation who did not have the fancy cures (?) that are available to us today.

As I said, I like to read or hear about these remedies but I rarely try them. I guess I'm lazy (is there a cure for that?) Just kidding please don't tell me!

If anyone has tried any of these, or has other remedies they use, I would love to hear results or comments.

Keep this on the Fridge
Did You Know That? Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate tooth paste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer . Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use. (Note: Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine is not the sam e..and contains aspirin, which can cause stomach bleeding if you have ulcers.)

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin steri le, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails lo oking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters< /B>...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ... a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the anima l thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites... All it t akes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:28 pm

Great remedies. I will have to try Gatoraide the next time I get a headache. I will try anything to get relief.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:07 pm

All of those are great recipes! Now I need one for my cramped stomach and diarrhea. I can't eat and just barely finished showering. Yesterday, I was fine! Go figure.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:57 pm

Hope you're feeling better. I hear bananas, apple sauce and soda crackers are good foods to eat while going through that.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Well, today, Wednesday, I'm finally over it. It disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived. On Monday, my dad visited and wanted to go to the nearby diner. I wasn't really up to it and told him that I had the s---s and didn't feel so great. He still wanted to go out.

So I said fine, even though my appetite had gone south. That's when I ordered the roll and coffee. He wanted me to order ice cream as well, but I couldn't. I really wanted to go home and get into bed and go to sleep.

All of that sleep really helped and today I feel so much better. Okay, so the cats didn't appreciate having to beg and eat a late breakfast. They are lucky that I dragged myself out of bed, fed them and cleaned the danged smelly poo in their litterbox. I was praying for strength the whole time, LOL. Around here, I can't afford to get sick. Seems that everything goes down the tubes if and when I do.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:42 am

Ahhhh, welcome back to the living!
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:30 am

Yep, though I'm still giving up the temptation of just staying in bed. I did that this morning, waking only after having an odd dream about being in a classroom that had an old-fashioned wooden rocking horse and furniture. There might have been a few kids too, only I don't quite remember. To shake that dream off---wonder what it meant?---I got out of bed and fed the cats, who were evidently awake for hours. It was only 6:30 am., so I went back to bed.

And again, I slept, dreaming that I was in a basement-like room looking up at three guys who looked like construction workers. They seemed to be especially interested in my area, but thankfully, could not see me. Then poof, the dream ended.

I'm sure that my yucky diet the day before was responsible for those dreams.... oatmeal and oranges for breakfast, Spanish rice for lunch and a hamburger and fries for dinner. And let's not forget the honey-bun snacks and half a box of Cheese-its.

louieann34

Post by louieann34 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:03 am

Hi Nanay,

This is a wonderful recipe you got here...I think I will going to try the Quaker Oats for fast pain relief.

Thanks for this Nanay. God Bless You!!!

Wise Choice Living

alisaroack

Post by alisaroack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Many people find that living in big cities, in fact, will increase their allergy symptoms, because of air pollution in large cities. If you have allergies, you may consider moving to a small city, fresh air and the environment.

daisygrace

Post by daisygrace » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 pm

great home made remedies.

Fichle

Post by Fichle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 am

Great post.It is essential for every one.

tobymagmire

Post by tobymagmire » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Home remedies are really best medicine for our health. Home remedies are cure a disease. It's harmless so you can easily use it. Now a days most of the persons are using home remedies for their cause. It's very helpful for our health.

CharlesEdward

Home Remedies

Post by CharlesEdward » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 am

If we control over health problem by home remedies, it's the good sign for us. Good Stuff.

TerryShearer

Re: Home Remedies

Post by TerryShearer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Great ! Some of them have really raised my eye openers. Quite an eye - opener post :)

TerryShearer

Re: Home Remedies

Post by TerryShearer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:09 pm

After reading this amazing post, I would like to share some very effective home remedies for cough that will be helpful for all:
Try honey. Tea or warm lemon water mixed with honey has been proven to be an effective cough suppressant.
Try 1 mug of water with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.

Drink a little blackcurrant cordial (choose a 'high-juice' version). If you want to turn it into a sleep aid, add some port wine.

Pour a gelatin packet (flavored or not) into boiling water. Let it cool to the point that it's still liquid and warm, and drink

Thyme is an expectorant and also contains substances that relax the respiratory tract. To make thyme tea, place 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme (or 1 tablespoon of dried) into a cup of hot water. Allow it to infuse for 5 minutes, then strain out the herb. Add honey if you wish and drink.

Sip a cup of marshmallow tea. When combined with water, marshmallow leaf yields a gooey mucilage that coats the throat and also thins mucus in the lungs, making it easier to cough up. To make the tea, steep 2-3 grams of dried leaf in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and strain before drinking. Drink a total of 3 cups a day.
Personally I found Honey with lemon one of the best home remedies for cough.