Someone, Cheer me up !!

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

CML

Someone, Cheer me up !!

Post by CML » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just in need of letting off some steam here. I feel I'm slowly sinking into depression.

Basically, I'm stuck in a rut. I used to have a good job, which I left to go to university. Having finished uni, I took the first job that came along. What a mistake. I've now been there a year and am desperate to get out. Basically, I am not interested in the work I do and I feel I'm not very good at it. My confidence has completely shattered and I feel I can't do a thing right. To make things worse, there is next to no training so I'm expected to know things I've never been taught, which makes me look bad. My boss is no help whatsoever, checking and authorising things I do and then telling me off when it turns out to be wrong !

I have been looking for a new job for a while now but nothing has come of it so far. I would love to hand my notice in and get a temporary job until something comes up. The big problem is money, so quitting is not an option. I think I've had the worst year of my life, and today I finally broke down. I'm beginning to turn to drink and drugs which makes things even worse. I actually dread going to work now.

I'd love to turn my life aroung and am really trying, however, I am still stuck in my rut.

Sorry to rant, I've been keeping this to myself for too long now and am in need of cheering up (if that's possible)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 pm

I hope you are feeling better by now. It's difficult to find a job when you are feeling so bad about yourself. It can become apparent when you are intereviewing and cost you the position.

I've been in this situation and feeling stuck in a job that made me feel worse everyday that I stayed. I felt like I wasn't appreciated and ended up having to prove myself over and over. It was just the wrong place for me to be and I didn't really realize it until I was out of the situation.

Trying to hide with drinking and drugs will only make it worse because you will end up weaker, instead of stronger to build the confidence you need.

I hope you keep trying to find another job and don't feel like it has to be a lifetime career. Maybe you could find an interim job (maybe for less money and stress?)where you feel comfortable and can evaluate your life and what you really want to do.

This is not to say that it's easy and I don't minimize what it takes to take the steps to get out of the situation.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:57 pm

I was in a similar rut and to get out of it, settled for a few temporary jobs just to get the bills paid. But in the meantime, I kept looking and little by little, wound up with the job I have now, mentoring college students online. As a consulting faculty mentor, I do not have to worry about traveling to work and can basically choose when to work. And the pay is pretty good. One month, for example, I received a check for over 5 thousand dollars.

All of this would never have been possible if I threw my hands up and gave up.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and it all makes sense in the greater scheme of things. And I learned that we should never discount our negative and positive experiences, just look for ways to milk them.

Keep your chin up, kid, and pursue, pursue, pursue. You'll make it. Just keep believing and remember that negative thoughts only attract more negativity. Think positive and believe.

jnessinger1

suck it up and look at positive

Post by jnessinger1 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:36 pm

HEY we all go through this from tme to time ! try not to dwell on it!! alhtough yeah its hard I know but look at the good things instead of the negatives in your life family friends ect and it sound tacky but yes your life. ya know i would stress day in and day out on what i dont have and just why cant i have this why cant i have that. well maybe ya have to realize theirs only two ways ONE either dwell on it or secondly do smoething about it Im not saying its going to happen over night but if ya try to attain these goals and say HEY how can i get this instead of i never will find a girlfrend or wife :) Opps that was mine lol ya have to say Hey if someone cant apreaciate what i have to give them and not what i cant give them then your better off without that thing or person in your life no matter how hard it is. SO dont get done on yourself get proactive wake up tomorrow and say hey if all the things im doing wrong why not change them . Reminds me of a sienfield episode with George when George did the opposite and it worked. Worse comes to worses try it what ya have to lose ,nothing and ya cant be any worse off right. :) Ok im turning 39 tomorrow im single still and I have no corvette maybe im going through my midlife crisis faster then i though LOL remember when ya thiink windows are closeing then look for the new ones.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:11 pm

WELL HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! jnessinger1
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

jnessinger1

THANK YOU MUAVEDUH ALL HAVE A PROSPEROUS YEAR

Post by jnessinger1 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:05 pm

well thank you HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL by the way im only 38 now i forgot how to add , going to my midlife crisis soon anyone want to sell their corvette LOL and dont worry bush is almost out of officce so this country should get better

bluej244

Re: Someone, Cheer me up !!

Post by bluej244 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 am

It seems that you are in a difficult situation. I do hope everything will be fine the soonest. I also hope this blog endburnout.com/blog/ can help you with your current situation. Good luck and looking forward to hear good news from you.
I am doing great in balancing work and family.