Job driving me crazy

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Dando

Job driving me crazy

Post by Dando » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Lately, I don't know how much longer I can take working at my current job. I'm stressed out every day and I'm asking myself if its worth it. I work in retail and deal with people all day long. But some of the people I work with are what's doing it even more than the public.

There's a girl who runs around bossing everyone around telling them how to do their job and she's not a boss. We are at the same level. I've been promised a promotion but when it comes down to it, I don't know if it will happen because they have been telling me this for too long and just brought in someone to fill the vacancy who used to work there. That's the position I was supposed to get. My boss tells me he's promoting me and I'm in training then tells the other manager that he's thinking of promoting me but isn't sure.

The bossy girl hangs out talking and flirting in the back with my boss and just comes out to bark orders at people like she's in charge and doesn't even do her job telling everyone they are lazy. It's driving me crazy. It's against policy to give orders when you aren't in charge but no one is doing anything about it like they are afraid of her or something. I've told her but she doesn't listen to anyone, including management.

I don't want to leave when I'm supposed to get a promotion and I need the title to better myself when I do get another job. But I'm freaking done.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Re: Job driving me crazy

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 am

Wow, Dando. It sounds like you are going through it. There's nothing worse than work stress and feeling powerless. I feel for you. Have you talked to your boss about how you are feeling or how this person is treating people? You may have to speak up rather than let it eat at you.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Dando

Post by Dando » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 am

My boss doesn't do anything about the girl. He says he will talk to her but she doesn't listen even to him so it keeps happening. I'm don't want to push too much about the promotion yet. They take a long time to do things so I'm still there waiting.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:43 am

It's probably a good plan to hang in there a bit longer and see how things play out. But employers should empower their employees by promoting mutual respect in the workplace. Sometimes you have to weed out those who try to make others feel less than. In my experience, disrespect is why many employees leave a job.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Dando

Post by Dando » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 pm

I got myself worked up about it again this week after hearing some of the guys I work with telling me to get out of there and asking me why I'm staying. I started to go out and look for another job but it was the weekend and no one was around at the places I went. I still don't know what I'm going to do.

stressstreet

Post by stressstreet » Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 am

Hello Dando - I'm new to this forum but your's was the first post I came across so I hope you don't mind my honesty here.

Having read what you said about your job it comes across that you feel powerless to do anything about it...when in fact you have as much power as you believe you have.

In the end the only thing that holds us back is ourselves...start to believe in you, and instead of looking at the problem start to ask empowering questions like...

1. What is it I would love to do with my life.
2. If I had all the money in the world what would I do with my life.
3. What steps do I need to take to begin to build my ideal life...remembering to start with baby steps first...these bay steps could even include sitting down with your boss and asking him some questions and pinning him down to some deadlines to your promotion...if this is the job you really want to do. If this ends up as a dead end change your pathway to a new one.

There are many more questions you can ask...but the important thing to realise is to ask away. The brain loves questions...so long as you are prepared for the answer :idea:

Good luck and I hope you get this sorted soon.
Stress is Built in The Mind

paulirish

Post by paulirish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:04 am

I had my issues with stress.

sadsadman

Post by sadsadman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 am

The same problem, but you have to overcome yourself