My parents

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Should you feel obligated to support your parents?

Yes
60%
No
No votes
Depents on the situation (If so, list situation)
40%

Total votes: 5

Morutea

My parents

Post by Morutea » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:34 am

Hello all,

It is my first post :)

I want your thoughts on this:
Do you feel that because your parents may have supported you when you were younger, that you "owe" it to them to support them now?

(Pay the bills they run up etc, just because they did it for you when you were younger and unable to work)

Thanks.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Support your parents

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:16 pm

It's hard to say that you absolutely should support your parents because they supported you but, in general, if they are in need and you can manage it, it seems like it would be an equitable thing to do.

But there are always exceptions. It depends on their situation, your relationship, the extent of their hardship and their responsibility to be reasonable in their spending.

I think I would be there to help my parents in their time of need, if I could, and want to do it.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

jnessinger1

Post by jnessinger1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:50 pm

HEY comeing from a comfortable background my dad and mom always took that extra effort to give and provide for us , we always got to choose to go to which highschool we wanted private ect even though highschool and even grammer school was 3000 dollars a year for myself and 5 brothers not to mention colleges and not just any colleges my brothers went to NOTRE DAME COLLEGE , UNIVERSITY OF COLORdo and others , even when my dad went on strike at the tribune my mom took a job so that we we could always have food on table clothes ect . So haveing my father just pass away on september 9th of this year i was doing somee reflecting and realized how well of we where and how tight of a family we where and we had possession that only other families could dream about, but its not about the possesions it was how much we where loved and provided for and when my father was diagnosed with cancer and he could no longer drive on his own (which he hated takeing apart of his freedom of driveing agan away ) I thought nothing of it when i came to visit him as well as my mom passing away 9 years ago I just looked at at how god as blessed us with wonderfull parents and that through all their love and hard work was in raiseing us was very much apreaciated it and takeing care of them is just away of life and glad i could take care and return all the unselfishness love and passion they gave us all through the course of our lives.

So i dont look at it as a chore to take care of your parents you should want to return the favor and love and passion they have provided and given you ten fold!! I understand how easy especially in todays hard times that so many young families and even older families when they find it hard to provide for their children they just give them up for adoption (not saying its wrong) but apreaciate how much harder it is to keep a child and help nurture and even just provide the basic needs . Thats why I am gratefull to have the loveing and careing and hardworking parents i had on this earth and always be in my heart and now in heaven and cherish all the fond memories.

THANKS MOM AND DAD FOR BEING YOU AND ALL THAT YOU GIVEN YOUR SONS :)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:48 pm

I couldn't have said it better.

You were very lucky to have a caring family. And it shows how we model behaviors of our parents and how cycles are repeated through generations. Unfortunately sometimes they are negative, but in this case very positive.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

jnessinger1

i agree with you mauveduh 100%

Post by jnessinger1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:13 pm

ya know when you actually take the time and realize what the parents have done and especially sacraficed to make your lifes more comfortable and to have every basic necessity and then alot more , really shows how much you where loved and are loved to the ends of the earth. ALso i think this also provides a great foundation for your next generations and off spring to continue this wonderfull pattern in life.

if ya want to see obituary mauveduh its chicago tribune.com in the obituary story was on 9/9/06 and my father was buried on 9/11/06 never will forget that date

so to all of you let the grudges grow because they are trite and make the time for your families and give thanks this thanksgiving for being able to have a mom and dad and just take some time to call or set a side time to remember them in your own special way

jnessinger1

typo LOL

Post by jnessinger1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 pm

sorry typo LOL LET THE GRUDGES GO AND NOT GROW LOL

jnessinger1

mauveduh where posting on the 9th

Post by jnessinger1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:15 pm

their is a problem with the post date today is 9th and its posting like its the 4th th

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:24 pm

That's the date that you joined. Today's date is above the post.
~-~-~-~-~

louieann34

Post by louieann34 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:46 am

Actually every one of us is not oblige to support our parent just because they send us to school or they pay each bills...Its there responsibility to do that, and that also counts us, that someday we will have our own family and lets not think that our sons and daughter are oblige to support us.

What we are doing right now, the thing that we support them is that we love them and that we care for them...We are not doing it because it is our obligation, we are doing it because of Love.
Wise Choice Living

Izrul

Post by Izrul » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Usually parents never rely on their children to support them when we have our own money. It's not the money they want from us, it's our love and attention that matters.

Parents don't want their children to forget them when we ourselves have our own family to take care of. Believe it or not, if we call them once a week or once a month, they will feel a lot happier than we support them financially.

Put ourselves in their shoes. Would you want your children to support you financially OR would you prefer your children remember your sacrifices to them when they are still a child?

I usually call my mom once a week just to say hi and by hearing her voice on the phone, I knew she extremely happy when I call her. $#@
Learn How To Live Life Free From Stress.

Exclusive: Click here - stressmanagement-29@zoomresponse.com - to join my 21-day Stress Management Quick TIPS list via e-mail.

edfc386qf

Post by edfc386qf » Thu May 17, 2012 12:19 am

many thanks

Johntan

Re: My parents

Post by Johntan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 pm

If your parents took care of you all your life and need help, you should help them.

GregoryCooper

Post by GregoryCooper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 am

It's completely hard to say that you should support your parents - they supported you! However, in my point of view, if they are in need and you can manage it, it seems like it would be an fair thing to do. Should you need any writing assistance, you might follow skywritingservice.com/blog/20-tips-how-to-feel-happier-at-work!

RogerJackson

Post by RogerJackson » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:24 am

Isn't great to help those people who raised you? I think that we all must have the power to forgive the people who devoted their precious lives to us! This way, we will be able to be successful and feel happier everywhere, even at work: Image 

sadsadman

Post by sadsadman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 am

Sad and touching story