What causes you the most stress?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Too much to do. Not enough time.
35%
Not enough money.
43%
I have money. What do I do with it?
No votes
My job stresses me out.
No votes
Relationship with significant other.
9%
My kids keep me stressed.
No votes
Self-image. I’m not #### enough.
No votes
Other. I will post it in the forum.
13%

Total votes: 23

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:05 pm

Cast your vote
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:13 am

dont know how to post but i pick two.. my job and the relationship
thingy..if only men wouldnt think with their.. well you all know..some
how that thing rules their life.. OH boy am I gonna hear it now hehe

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Guest,

Glad to have your input in the polls.

If you click on the HOME link at the top of this page on the left, you will go to the portal page and be able to vote in the poll.

Here is a link http://www.stressbank.com/forum/portal.php

But you need to be a registered user to vote. Take a minute to sign up and vote in our future polls!

http://www.stressbank.com/forum/profile ... e=register

PS. Your information is safe and will remain on the board. We work to maintain your privacy and do not share information.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Have bills and very little or no money

Post by webwriter » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:06 am

At this point, I would have to say that making ends meet causes me the worst stress! As a freelancer, I don't get a regular paycheck and certain months, such as November and January, are most stressful as I have to pay bills and skimp on groceries just to make ends meet. My part-time teaching job doesn't even begin to pay enough. But I am a survivor and have every intention of beating the odds!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:45 am

I'm dealing with the freelance dilemma myself. I got used to that steady paycheck. Juggling the unknown revenue with the bills that arrive like clockwork is an art in itself.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:30 am

I'll say! I can't even tell you how many times that I have had to call certain utilities, explain my situation and negotiate --- not beg, because that is something I will NEVER do. By negotiate, I mean something like, look, I will pay this bill ($315, for example) but right now, I am in a deep financial bind, and can only pay x-dollars. That's all I have!" And of course when my paycheck does finally arrive, I take out all of my bills and compare them to how much money is in that check and take things from there.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:15 pm

I think we see the hands-down winner of this poll. It is "not enough money".

I can't tell you how many people I hear about who are new to this concept after losing their employment or careers and having to start over. (uhh....yours truly not excepted)

It definitely takes some creative management and negociating. I have also mentioned the incredible cost of living in my area so that makes it more difficult. But I don't want to leave..... Time will tell.

One woman in my area (who is also a writer) has started a Web site called www.bagladyprevention.com. I think the name says it all.

Maybe we can share our tips for creative budget management.

Calling your creditors is a good one. They always appreciate that rather than just not paying the bill and ignoring their calls. They will usually work with you if you communicate.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:12 pm

And some of those creditors will be lenient because they know that you intend to pay them; these creditors also know that many of their customers are in a similar fix.

As far as sharing creative budgeting ideas goes, that sounds like a wonderful idea.... lifejacket, actually. I will have to admit, though, that the rules have changed for me this week; I only have eight dollars to my name until Friday, which is when my paycheck is supposed to arrive in the mail. If it doesn't, I will really be in a hole because I mailed a mortgage payment on Saturday and have promised to pay a creditor some nine hundred dollars by the end of this week.

Anticipating all of this has motivated me to buy a lot of cheap can goods on sale. I already have potatoes, butter, cheese, soup, and oranges for this week, but will have to buy the supermarket bread, milk and cat food (three adult cats with huge appetites) sometime this week. Now all of that combined should be make for a very interesting week.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:24 pm

As we get a pool of good ideas, I will compile them and add them to the articles and resources section.

Note: With your writing connections, you may know some fledgeling writers (or experienced-including yourself) that may want to publish their articles or stories for exposure. If so, I am always looking for content.

Well, all of this doing without and budgeting is supposed to build character, right? There has to be an upside to this. Sounds like you are good at planning. This really makes us question how much we need certain things that we buy.

Here is my budgeting tip. When you are about to purchase an item, ask yourself if you really need it (or even really want it). I got used to buying things on a whim without a second thought. It's amazing how much money you can spend like that. Store owners know that with their items sitting next to the checkout stand. I've also got clothes in my closet that I never wear, some still with tags from a year ago. I guess I didn't need them.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:45 am

I hear ya!

If I have more time, I will certainly be glad to write an article, or perhaps get someone I know to do it.

As far as holding down the fort goes, I've reached a point, especially this week, where I can't cut back anymore. Everything, including simple, basic items are so expensive!

However, with a little luck and even more restraint, I think I can last to Friday. Maybe the cats can as well --- I should not have spoiled them like that.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:49 pm

You will have to convicne the cat that she will just have to wait for that new diamond-studded collar, even though it would look great with her eyes. ;-)
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 pm

Once those cats get hungry, they keep bothering me until I feed them. As soon as it gets light outside, they wake up and run into my bedroom. One cat sits on my pillow and licks my face, another cries, and the other guy puts his front paws on the bed and keeps staring. You can see how easy it is for me to ignore them and go back to sleep.

Then they don't all get along, so two cats eat together first, while one waits on the sidelines until the cat she hates leaves. If she is hungry enough, she will try to eat, but winds up growling at the cat she hates until one of them leaves --- and waits until the coast is clear before eating again. Before the morning is over, they will have consumed the contents of five cans of cat food.

Finally, I get to make some coffee and eat breakfast. Pets are worse than children.

patsycloud

FIGHTS< SCHOOL, AHH!!

Post by patsycloud » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:46 pm

well, I mostly stress about the family fights and school. It might seem like, how could it, its the easiest for me? well, it isn't easy for me I tell ya, but I have found ways to work it out, like stressbank! Man, I tell ya, my family, not just like my sybalings, but like cousins and stuff! Everyday almost from the begining of school, I can't remember once I had a decient day of peace! It bugged me alot. On top of that, home was like an upsidedown world! We would always fight, and especially with my brother. Haha, we would fight about the smallest and most minor things. Now I think about it, it was quite funny.I hope you can understand how I feel because you might of felt the same way at some point. Ah well, there is a bigger and better place, all I goto do is look up not down!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:16 pm

Family fights are stressful for everyone. Hang in there. We parents, and I include myself, don't realize, how fighting effects the kids but I hear what Dr. Phil says. I don't want to sound like I'm quoting his words as the gospel but there is alot of truth in them.

I also used to fight with my brothers if it makes you feel any better. Siblings have an odd relationship. They usually want to support each other and protect the other but at the same time compare themselves to the their brother or sister. If one seems like they are getting more attention or love or anything, the other one may resent it. Here are more of those mixed messages that make these feelings confusing.

I think part of it is that we don't know how to handle these confusing feelings so we lash out. That doesn't make it easy to deal with though. It is only the beginning of trying to understand them and deal with them in another way.
~-~-~-~-~

maico886

Post by maico886 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:57 pm

Hey mauve, come on now, rumor has it you didn't fight with your brothers, you just kicked their butts and that was the end of that :D