What causes you the most stress?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

What causes you the most stress?

Too much to do. Not enough time.
35%
Not enough money.
43%
I have money. What do I do with it?
No votes
My job stresses me out.
No votes
Relationship with significant other.
9%
My kids keep me stressed.
No votes
Self-image. I’m not #### enough.
No votes
Other. I will post it in the forum.
13%

Total votes: 23

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:11 pm

Oh, I think we've got a bonafide psychic on our hands. :shock:
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:24 pm

Just a little update. First two items on the list still get my (repeat) vote.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:24 pm

I have to agree with you there but now #4 has been bumped up on my list. My job, though I am working for myself, has been keeping me stressed out trying to keep things running smoothly.

I want clients to be pleased and satisfied, so I end up doing things without pay, whether doing extras, researching, fixing a problem or giving support, which goes with the territory, and it is taking it's toll on me trying to do it all. I have to find a balance here and narrow down what is working and try to eliminate some of the really time consuming things that are riddled with problems.

Just thinking in those terms makes me feel better.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:50 pm

Yeah, #4 is another good one. My part-time college teaching job DOES cause me stress, such as my having to tell two unqualified students in my class that they really could not jump the gun and take the state test --- they would have to complete the next course in the sequence before they were fully qualified to do that. And as if I didn't know the answer already, I asked them who told them about taking the test. One of the students gave me a blank stare and said, "A counselor."

And I asked, "Who?" thinking wait until my coordinator gets a load of this.

The student said that she didn't know. Yeah right. Just afraid to rat on a counselor, eh?

So, still rather miffed, I contacted my coordinator and told her the whole sad story, including the business about the counselor. I said something like, "It's too bad that counselors still don't know how to keep their yaps shut." I steamed (and yes, I did use the word, yap. LOL.) My coordinator told me that she would get a memo out to the counselors about giving out such information so freely to certain classes. But even though she told me what SHE would tell those students, she never told me to invite those students to her office for a little chat. You know, the job pays peanuts as it is and you want that I should play counselor or psychologist too?

Later on that night, as I was trying to get some sleep, I remembered how I used the word yap and started to giggle and soon erupted into peals of laughter as one funny image after another crossed my mind. At least, all of that made my stress disappear temporarily. I still have to deal with those students.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:08 am

Well, at least you got a good laugh out of it if nothing else. You are doing ok when you can still see the humor in the ridiculousness of the situation.

Now you get to be the barer of bad news while the counselor got to be the hero....for awhile. Of course, now they will probably go back to the couselor, hoping you are wrong. Then the couselor will be forced to deal with it AND admit they are wrong.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:32 am

That is just the beginning. April 21st is the deadline for submitting student names to the testing department and on Tuesday, I will be badgered again. Guess I will have to be more blunt, telling those students that while they are passing the course, their work this semester has not been good enough to qualify them to take the test. Their work should have been A-level. I wish that I could wring that counselor's neck for opening her yap for causing these problems so late in the semester. Truly.

MATT

Re: What causes you the most stress?

Post by MATT » Sat May 22, 2004 10:46 am

I THINK THAT THE FEAR OF DEATH OR AT LEAST HOW YOUR GOING TO GO IS STRESSFULL, HOW ABOUT GEO THEARMAL NUCLEAR WAR !!!!! OR SKIN CANCER SOUNDS BAD THERE IS 130 NEW SKIN CANCERS EVERY YEAR..!!!!!!!! KEEP SPRAY PAINTING!!!!! OH LUNG CANCERS A WINNER
HI , DO YOU KNOW ANY THING ABOUT RAMPAGE? OR LOW JACKS / YELLOW TAGS? I THINK I NEED A LAWYER BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM EMOTIONAL TRAMA AND SOCIAL ISOLATION...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 22, 2004 12:10 pm

I don't fear death, so that isn't an issue for me, and as for the time when my number does come up, so be it. I will be ready --- and strong.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat May 22, 2004 7:22 pm

I think fear of how you will go is very stressful with all of the diseases out there that can ravage your quality of life. That may be more stressful than actaully dieing.
~-~-~-~-~

altyfc

Post by altyfc » Sun May 23, 2004 7:08 am

I voted "Too much to do. Not enough time." I think it's true of many people in the IT industry. The other thing that causes me stress is awkward clients. ie. those that don't pay. Thankfully, they're becoming few and far between.

Aaron
Business Forum - Sport Forum - Travel Forum
Participation in our forums is rewarded with free ads!

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun May 23, 2004 8:06 am

And in other fields, some good advice would be, never work for cheapskates.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun May 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Yes, too much to do is at the top of my list right now. Wow! But I dove in head first and I'm plowing through it as my list gets longer. Hey, at least I see light at the end of the tunnel waaaaaay down the road.

If I was still working for my previous company, there would be no light: just an endless tunnel.

On top of that, I got an offer to teach a workshop. So I thought I might join all of you teachers out there. Actually, I haven't decided and it's not my forte, but an interesting proposition. Is there room for another hat in my closet? :-)
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon May 24, 2004 3:38 am

Gee Mauveduh, that's great! What's the topic? I might be able to help. I've taught writing workshops and can answer any questions.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon May 24, 2004 5:35 pm

It's on Web site building with a program that I don't currently use but I have used it in the past. I have to brush up on it and see how well I know the current version.

It would also involve creating a manual so I may look to you for some help if I end up getting involved in that.
~-~-~-~-~

bluej244

Re: What causes you the most stress?

Post by bluej244 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 am

I really wondered why no one voted "My job stresses me out." It was my reason before but now, not anymore. endburnout.com/blog/ helped me with my work issues. I do hope it can help you too.
I am doing great in balancing work and family.