Office Space

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Office Space

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:51 am

Someone was telling me that Office Space was their favorite movie today and then it came on TV tonight. What timing when I am facing the possibilty of having to go back to the 9-5 world.

I'm really torn because I don't feel like I can go back and work in an office every day now. Mentally, I am not prepared to do that with my life anymore. I have done it for too long and I feel like I would be going back to prison, wasting my time working for someone else. But I am struggling with alternatives at this point. I have to weigh a lifestyle with my freedom. Not that I am free now because I am working constantly but at least it is for my goals and not someone else's.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:36 pm

I couldn't agree more, Mauveduh! I can't work in an office for someone else either, especially after getting a taste of what it was like to work as a project editor for a well-known publisher. I had to put up with frequent meetings where my colleagues and I were told to put a rush on work that had arrived late --- and was needed yesterday. I also experienced long waiting periods with nothing to do except twiddle my thumbs or at least pretend that I was doing something. And the job itself? Bor--rrring. The pay wasn't all of that either.

I can honestly say that I love working from home! Oh sure, I have had to deal with the downsides, but after all of the aggravation I experienced, it's no big deal for me. Work in an office for someone else? NEVER AGAIN!!!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:04 pm

I absolutely love working at home but have a problem setting limits on my time with my office at my fingertips. I don't clock out!

But it's worth it if I can do it for awhile and avoid having to go back to working in the "office space". It will take some lifestyle creativity to pull it off. I loved that story line in "Office Space", where the guy was fired years before but still came to work every day. That was a pretty good movie.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:57 am

LOL, that is funny! That guy had to be well programmed and trained to keep coming back even after he was fired. But it wouldn't be me returning for more of the same. And even though my "office" is seconds away, I have a hard time leaving it except when I really must, such as breaking for meals and answering nature's call. And yesterday, I had to take my bike to the shop, so I was forced to go out. What a shame because I was online, playing checkers on your site and lost track of time. Same thing happened on Sunday too.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Well, at least you have a sport that will keep you healthy when you "break away" (wasn't that a movie?) from the computer. Do you compete? Do you ride around the city? I've never been to your area. Do they provide adequate riding areas for you?

My son took my bike out (after breaking his) and decided to do some jumps, which took it's toll on my bike. It wasn't made for that and is now not functional. :-(

I'm glad you are enjoying the games. I had grown quite a selection of resources to add to that section including games and scripts, but sadly, I found that they were lost in that file that "didn't get backed up" last week. OUCH! I do have a smaller collection that were stored elsewhere.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:05 pm

I seriously considered getting trained to race over five years ago, but am having second thoughts now. I also went on group rides, which was fun. My sister, who is a better rider than I am, thinks nothing of a sixty-five to seventy-ride. And why not, she spends a lot of time at the health club.

In the meantime, I am trying to build up my endurance by riding for miles and miles after months of hibernating. Too much snow and icy winds from the Arctic. Right now, I'm using a sleek racing bike that I bought for close to a thousand dollars about two years ago and love it. And mostly, it is more fun riding early on Sunday mornings, since few people are out and by the time everyone wakes up, I am on my way home, unless I get a flat. Once in a while, I will head for the bike paths, but they are mostly local and short.

Once I get back, I am better able to work after getting recharged physically and mentally. Also lost enough weight to fit in size 12 clothing. Getting out there and doing something really helps a lot. Now that the weather is getting milder, I expect to be out almost every morning for at least an hour.