Stress levels and time compression. Are you ready for more?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Stress levels and time compression. Are you ready for more?

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:20 pm

Why is it that time seems to grow shorter as more time passes? We never seem to have enough of it yet we have an overabundance of things to fill it with.

Our attention spans grow shorter and learning requirements increase with the bombardment of information that we need to filter and assimilate on a daily basis. Just deciding which phone plan to use requires a research project.

Time management is one of the largest challenges of the day and causes a great deal of the stress that fills our lives.

Time Compression has become the buzzword of the day. The Trendscape Report 2004 published a snapshot of this phenomenon and how it started.

The trend was identified in the 80s. When asked,“How are you?,” instead of the usual courtesy answer, “good,” or the increasingly popular hyperbole, “great,” a new response suddenly emerged — 1956: Hans Selye’s The 1950s “busy.”The new state of mind had become a state of time.

They reported that it began in business with Federal Express 1973, who’s benefit promoted fast business. In the 80’s, mobile phones followed with the fax machine emerging next. The 90’s brought the Internet which made real time communication instantaneous.

In the midst of this technology mix, the codec came into vogue. The codec is a compression algorithm used to compress and decompress data used in CDs, DVDs,HDTV, MP3, satellite TV, Internet telephony and DSL. MP3 became so popular, it was second only to sex in the search engines.

Business startups would appear and then disappear just as fast with the dotcom revolution. The report noted that amphetamines or “speed” that grew out of the 60’s turned to Starbucks in the 80’s, all in the quest to stay in the race as time compression spread from technology to society.

Fewer than 40% of today’s tv drama viewers see two of three consecutive television episodes. As a result, these types of shows.

Speed dating has appeared to accommodate our busy lives and our need for companionship, when it is hard to find time to fit it in.

Shopping online is increasing in leaps and bounds due to convenience, despite reports that many people are concerned about privacy and their personal information. Vacations are planned in the time it takes to go online and see what deals are available.

Health technology has benefited from this phenomenon. Within 2 weeks,of hearing of the SARS virus on the radio, Dr. Ho of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, had developed two peptides that, in early test results, proved to be effective against the SARS virus’,

Since 1995 U.S. productivity has grown at a 2.5% annual pace compared with 1.4% a year in the 70s and 80s.
US workforce productivity has expanded at an even faster rate of 4.2% since the fourth quarter of 2001.

“The rate of change is accelerating: there is more change per unit of time than
there was five years ago.”
Jeff Bezos,CEO,Amazon.com

This time compression trend is said to be in its early stages of development. What will come next? Are we ready to move any faster?

Statistics and information are from the Trendscape Report 2004
Trendsetters.com
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:09 am

And sometimes we don't always use our time effectively and who can blame us? With all of the new developments, events and crises, it just seems better to opt out temporarily and do nothing or next to nothing at all. We are overwhelmed.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:55 am

The technology it will take to manage even more information is inconcievable.

That's why so many programs and Web sites have gone to dynamic sites where infomation is pulled from databases. The information passes through so fast, everything will have to be so automated.

We will feed our robots with our vast knowledgebase of information and let them do those mundane repetitive tasts that we hate to do.

Then they will become so intelligent that they will get bored with it too and they will have to get their robots to do the work. It's kind of like a robot pyramid scheme. :D
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:04 am

And we will have even more fun when we get robots to oversee other robots and their work. Who will check those robots? LOL.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:24 pm

Your hire "Hal" :mrgreen: from "2001: A Space Oddessey". I hear he looking for work.
~-~-~-~-~

naynay

Post by naynay » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:06 pm

Hal...LOL...I remember so clearly how far away 2001 seemed back then...it must have been 1969 or 1970 I beleive. I was afraid of Hal back then, sort of how I am afraid of my computer now!!

It is so incredible what resources we have to pull from today. We can feed ourselves with knowledge so quickly. It doesn't seem like it could be a bad thing, yet when you say "robots", I get scared!

I still love the late 1950's...early 60's. Pre-British Invasion music (although loved the Beatles ) no war, no depression. Bursting economy and industry. New Frigerdares, TV dinners, June and Ward, "BYe Bye Birdie" etc etc.
Today we are so overwhelmed with options. Options should be good I would think, yet because of so many we are occupied at all times. No time for that picnic down at Swan Lake.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:37 am

Even though we're busy finishing up those Swanson frozen dinners, which today, are outrageously expensive. I am almost tempted to cook my meals from scratch on a more regular basis. LOL!