Why did you give it?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

patsyclouds

Why did you give it?

Post by patsyclouds » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm

Well, ok, this isn't quit a story, but I thought it was pretty funny.
Ok, my friend invited me to go to the mall with her to shop and hang out. I said, "ok, sounds like fun." So, then I asked my mother for some money to shop with. She gave me 60 bucks! WHEWWWEE! It's time to shop! Then, she said, "Alright hon, here is $60, but you can't spend it." WHAT? Did hear what I thought I heard? What, are you giving me money to hold or what? I thought to myself, what is my mom thinking? I said, "ok........." I was sooo unsure and confused.When I got to the mall, my friend told me, " What's the point? How weird of your mom to do that.....it's just like saying, ' here are some cookies, but you can't eat them'." I was so worry at the mall because guess what I did. I spent it all.

naynay

Post by naynay » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:10 pm

hi pastycloud...I haven't seen you post before. So Welcome...you started off with a good story. I think I do exactly what your mom did with you. I give my kids money and I say, "don't spend." I guess what I really mean is "you don't have to spend it all."
I don't blame you for spending it in some ways because you had received mixed messages. Here is some money for the mall, yet don't spend it? Hmmm..next time ask your mother if she is trying to test you, or did she mean spend some, but not all!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:31 pm

Welcome Patysyclouds,

I did get a kick out of your story. I give my son money too and tell him not to spend it, but noooo....... He can't help himself. He has got to spend every penny of it. It's like he can't stand to have it in his pocket. Part of me wants him to learn to have control and be able to learn to save it. But I will go broke before he will learn that lesson.

I hear you though, especially after that cookie analogy. Now I see it in a different light.

PS. I see that you weren't logged in before you posted. You may want to make sure you are logged in because we may start a points system that will give you points for your posts. That will take place whenever I have time to add it though. Just click on the login button above and put in your user name and password. Your name will appear if you are logged in. You can log out with the same button. This is good info for everyone to know. :wink:
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:48 pm

The message I used to get was slightly different: "Bring some back." So if I had $60 with me at the mall, I would try to bring at least 10 dollars of it back. At first, I didn't think that I could do it. There was so many things, especially books, that I would have loved to buy, but even a few years ago, 60 dollars did not go very far. However, I got around temptation to spend by becoming extra fussy. Yes, an item was stylish and fit me well, but the color was wrong (I already had too many blue items, or perhaps the item was a bright fire-engine red or a wild purple, for example). I can't tell you how many items I would have purchased had I not been so fussy.

I use the same strategy today at the mall. If I have one hundred dollars, I try to bring 20 or more dollars back home with me. And at the very worst, I still manage to bring home a few dollars. Ah, the lessons we learn at home!