That First Girlfriend Thing

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

That First Girlfriend Thing

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:28 pm

Oh boy, in one day, the change has happened.

My son met a girl yesterday and declared that he has a girl friend and they are joined at the hip. He was on the phone with her last night for hours until 3am or so. He had a friend here and ignored him most of the evening! She is obsessed with him and and keeps calling constantly and has already gotten mad a couple of times from what I understand, not necessarily at him directly, but I can see the control that could come with that.

I told him to be cool and don't get too wrapped up in her life and also maintain a life of his own, but he is ripe to get totally involved with someone right off the bat. He is one of those nice-guy types that could easily be taken advantage of and manipulated and ride an emotional roller coaster on someone else's emotions. He has developed a bit of a tough guy attitude at school out of self preservation but that's only on the outside. She lives in another town so at least she isn't here all the time.

I will just let things play out, which is all I can do but these are my inner fears. I don't want to be one of those mothers who find fault with every girlfriend and I don't think I am. I don't have anything against her at this point. I'm happy for him on one hand but have some reservations on the other because I know his vulnerabilities and his need for acceptance. He will have to learn from his own experiences though.

I just hope he doesn't jump in head first like you tend to do with your first "official" girlfriend.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:31 am

Nah, I don't think he will. Right now, I would say that he is basking in the novelty of it all. Everyone is putting out his/her best foot out to make a good impression, so it will be interesting to see how everything plays out. Having a "wait-and-see" attitude is a good idea. All the best to you and your son!

Totally

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:53 pm

I know how it is my son got a girlfriend and totally fell in love. It was like he was juggling :smile: both school work and all the dates they would go on.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:57 pm

I will never forget the time when my brother fell head over heels in love with a woman at work. His expression changed a little and I began to see a kinder, gentler version of him. However, he never bought her home to meet my parents and with good reason. She was divorced, with one young son (?) from that marriage. Guess who married her?

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:21 pm

Michael Jackson? juggleguy
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:39 am

I wish! She has expensive tastes.

My brother married her.

naynay

Post by naynay » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:29 am

well?? you got me curious webwriter! Are they still married? Was it the best thing that ever happened to your brother? Or is she the "hag from hell?"
Maybe saying nothing.....says it all!!

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:01 am

Yeah, they are still married, with one son of their own, who is now a New York City police officer. My brother also works long hours and makes good money. I only rarely see him and have not seen his wife for years.