A little time for me?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

A little time for me?

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Woohoo! My son just left this morning to go visit his dad. It's been a long time. I will miss him but I'm hoping to get a little time for myself after not stopping for a minute between working and being a taxi service for him.

I am making a committment to start some kind of exercise routine, which I have neglected for too long and I can feel it. You heard it here!

I will also try to spend more time at this forum, adding some new things.

I'm obsessed with my beads right now and can experiment more with those. I have some new designs to add to the store later today.

And I will get out and walk on the beach!!!! It's right down the street and I haven't seen the ocean lately at all. I'm not sure if I've even seen the sky. It's time to take a little break and reward myself for all of my hard work.

It's time to fill the well and pat ourselves on the back and rejuvinate.

OK, I'm still working tonight but I feel a dinner at the wharf, sitting by a huge glass window at Rivas Fish House in my future. The only thing in view is the ocean, a few boats and many seagulls. I'm surrounded by the latest art exhibit that graces the walls. I will order some spring rolls with ginger sauce and a salad. A nice glass of Chardonnay and some sourdough french bread will go nicely. Sounds like heaven to me to kick off my meeee time.

Anyone want to join me? :-)
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:38 am

Nice idea and I would love to, however.....

Anyway, it's about time. You deserve that break and waited long enough to take it. And with those great plans, you shouldn't have any problems in making the most of your time. The downside is that such time passes much too quickly! LOL.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:54 pm

I've already got a list a mile long of what to do. Now I need to shorten that list. Haha. I need to keep saying, RELAX....RELAX....

I'm trying. I didn't used to have to tell myself that. Relaxation came naturally. It's too easy to get caught up in the rat race and as Wynona Judd said, "I was busy taking care of everyone else and I forgot to put myself on the list."
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:57 am

I know the feeling. Right now, I am thinking how I want to spend a little free time that will become available as soon as I have submitted my online courses. I have reached a point where I want them done and have spent as much as 7-8 hours daily working on them. But with my dumb luck, something else will happen and push me all the way back to square one. ~!@

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:40 am

OOOOO, speaking of courses, that course I started to take over a year ago has come back to haunt me. I didn't have time to complete it due to the unexpected circumstances and I just got a letter that the extension is running out in a couple of weeks. That would mean that I would need to complete 2/3 of the coursework in that time. It's ALOT of work and research and writing. I really want to complete it though so I'm struggling with myself to see if I can tackle it with everything else on my plate. So much for me time. I still have to fit some down-time in for my sanity.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:49 am

I have a feeling that you will come through just fine. In the beginning, things can be rough --- so much to do and next to no time in which to do it all. That's how I still feel with the courses I am working on. So far, I have scheduled my work on them for the entire afternoon. They have become an extended college class. LOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:23 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. It's one of those things that takes total immersion and it's about art so I get to go into my pretentious, other self, which is always a bit fun. But to write extensive analysys in that form, and maintain a cohesive presentation is also a challenge when I don't have the focus right now. I know what it will take to do it in this short time so I'm spending time dreading it. LOL. I will just have to get my energy up and jump in head first.

I just have to do a little whining first. That's my MO. Then I will be so glad when it's finished and be so glad that I did it as I lie on the floor in a crumpled heap. I also like drama. Haha.

But I'm preaching to the chior here, aren't I? I'm whining about writing to a writer. At least you can probably relate.

You are immersed in that school work all of the time in your profession. It's funny how you hated school and ended up there as a career. Another one of those life lessons, I guess.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:17 am

I also feel challenged in having to analyze concepts and ideas, which is why I never enjoyed writing my master's thesis or dissertation. It is thinking through things slowly and painfully that gives me the hardest time. In elementary and high school, I struggled with math and science. My patience with chores like solving problems in those subjects was quickly exhausted. And my father, who tried to help me by asking MORE questions, only increased my frustration when I still couldn't obtain the right answer. No wonder I hated school! But my mom simply helped me to do the problems, then explained how she arrived at the answers, which were always correct.

If anything, formal education taught me to dread and hate subjects like math, science and literature. It took the joy out of learning for me to such an extent that I became serious about quitting school during my sophomore year. So when my parents insisted that I finish school, I reluctantly agreed. As long as I humored them by staying, they would leave me alone.

If I had to do it all over again, I would start my education at the college level and skip elementary school and high school. Perhaps in another lifetime.......

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:41 pm

That's the classic example of how men and women have been taught to approach dealing with problems.

Men have been taught to be competitive and push the situation and show what they've got. Women have been taught to shut up and deal with the situation, and get it done. LOL.

I have heard a couple of guy friends tell me that their father taught them that when they walk in a room, they need to be sure they are the smartest one in there. It never even entered my mind to think like that. That puts the pressure on to be competitive even more.

Women's roles, "traditionally", have been to maintain the home and take care of the children, which doesn't leave time for competition. Dealing with children in itself, sets you up to put out fires and move on to the next, rather than cause more controversy.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:00 pm

My mom was good at that! She helped us all in school and used to say that she was learning along with us. She was very good in analyzing math problems and helping us to solve them. Even my brother, who had few problems with math, often asked her for help and got it. My dad tried to help, but really didn't have the patience, especially once he arrived home from work. Now that I think of all of those questions he asked in trying to help, he probably didn't have the faintest clue in trying to solve those math problems (we went around the mulberry bush endlessly, with no hope of getting close to the right answer), but was putting on a good front. He actually had me believing that he knew what he was doing. So when he went out to see his friends, I'd show my mom the problems and she would work one of them out. After that, I understood what I was doing.

CHICAGOMAN68

Nicholle RICHIE ON CONAN TONIGHT OK WHY IS THIS POSTED HERE!

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:58 pm

HEY HOW HAS EVERYONE BEEN JUST SITTING HERE RELAXING EATTING SOME DINNER BY THE LAKESIDE THANKING GOD THAT I AM DONE WITH SCHOOL AND AT THIS POINT AND TIME IN MY LIFE NO MORE SCHOOLING< OK maybe the everyday lessons of life but not the regimented university type. DID YOU SEE NICHOLE as a blond DAMN SHE LOOKS GOOD as a blond ( but i still wouldnt do her , because i prefer redheads and bruennettes) I find them to be much more sexier and appealing !! Ok gotta run to bed

Armande

Post by Armande » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:31 pm

*grin* I am glad to hear you're a happy bunny Chicagoman.

So Mauveduh, has your son come home again? I sure hope you enjoyed your peace and relaxation!
Ogle my jewelry, visit Armande's Tarot Online or browse my photography. You needn't get bored... ;)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:00 pm

Thanks for the hope of peace and relaxation. Hope was all I got. LOL

After a couple of unforseen events that forced me to refocus my direction, I had to abandon my relaxation time.

And I will deal with that refocused direction after I finish writing these papers that I am immersed in right now.

I really do wish I had more time on them since they are on a subject I love and want to explore even more, which is developing a better understanding of current day art. but my deadline is so short that I've just got to plow ahead.

I also had to redo my store from scratch, which set me back too. We all have the best laid plans in mind, but life is there to throw us a curve to keep us on our toes. I'ts all how we deal with it and I'm in the process of figuring out how to deal with it at this time.

My son is still gone too. He is having a great time, of course, with no responsibilities. He can play video games and go swimming. He doesn't get discipline from his dad or have to do any chores so I'm sure he's loving that and wants to stay longer. It's just as well right now as I try to get things sorted out here and get this work done.

Happy 4th of July to all even if you aren't in the US to enjoy the holiday.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:27 pm

And the happiest of July fourths to you as well! Hope you were able to catch up on your work. And having to deal with those curve balls is no fun, but I guess they're supposed to be life's little tests, which we will pass with flying colors. We've got the guts, smarts and the stamina! Bring it on!

By the way, I've made fairly good progress on those courses today. Hopefully, everything will be done by next weekend and I will have no need to pull an all-nighter! (They're no fun either, LOL.)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:24 pm

Glad to hear you are making progress on your deadlines.

I wish I was making more. I've got some kind of flue or something that is making it very difficult because my mind doesn't want to hold a thought. I end up holding a book but not really assimilating any information and closing my eyes to rest them but not sleeping. It's a strange one. I'm fighting myself on this and I'm waiting for that surge where you just pour out the information in a flood of creativity.

I have a feeling that's not happening here. LOL I have also been distracted 100 times because I'm not up to doing this right now so I made some nice jewelry in the process of procrastination. I haven't written one paper and I need to write 6, after I try to grasp the concepts and formulate some conclusions. I have a good part of one written but it's pretty rough as I did it before I did any reading. Now I have to check the validity of my ramblings.

At least when I talk about it like this, I can laugh about it, instead of feeling guilty. I like the idea of posting the progress of projects. It's a good motivational tactic, even if no one else cares. It might help.

I will keep trying and I'm comforted by the fact that it will happen or it won't in the next couple of days, because that's all the time that I have. After that, it's over!

I just had a thought. I will be writing about conceptual art where the idea is the art, rather than the object. I'm living that. I'm thinking about writing about it, rather than actually doing the physical task. ;-)
~-~-~-~-~