Time to pay the piper?

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

webwriter

Time to pay the piper?

Post by webwriter » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:53 pm

My estimated water bill arrived and there was a discrepancy in the readings. So I called to give the correct reading and don't you know, they didn't believe me! I could just hear a skeptical tone in the rep's voice, something like, yeah right. Believe me, I don't call in to correct any readings unless they are in my favor, as this one was. Anyway, after she told me that the correction would be made, she also told me to call back.

When I did, I had to reconfirm the reading because they said that their "system" was still showing the old incorrect estimated reading. I was told that they are coming in next week to change the meter! Ain't that a kicker! When I asked why, they said that my meter had not been changed in ten years, something that I doubt. They can install 100 new meters, but if those meters are programmed correctly, they will still register a lower number. But try explaining that to the water utility.

I even explained how I use less water, which was by recycling it. I have a pan in the sink that collects water every time I wash my hands or the dishes and I use that water for flushing. The toilet gets washed and flushed at the same time and I save roughly 8 gallons of water by NOT flushing ... and a little money too.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:16 pm

Well, at least you keep an eye on it. I have to say I wouldn't even know if I was overcharged or my meter was malfunctioning. I'm sure most people don't and could easily be paying more than they owe. I wonder if it errors on the side of the consumer too. Hmmm.....

I rely on people like you to keep them honest. Don't you hate people like me who let others do the dirty work? :-)

I'm joking, but it's true about people having their own areas of concern and focus. We can't possibly keep track of it all so we have to do our part in our areas so we all work together I guess.

I absolutely hate opening mail, especially those bills, let alone reading them. I am always lax in my own affairs at home. With business, it's a different story. I would track the costs and keep those budgets in check when I was employed and spent way more time keeping everything correct. That didn't carry over to my personal bills. I basicly kept track but didn't spend any more time than I had to on those.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:40 am

Yeah, bills can be a bummer. I always dread opening them, especially when I know that there is no money to pay them. Once a check comes in, I take out all of the remaining bills and allot some money for each. If the bill is small enough, paying it in full is no problem. But if it is relatively high, I will pay what I can. If the creditor has problems with that, it's too bad. When I fight with them on the phone and get the impression that they are too arrogant, I will ask them what they expect me to do --- rob a bank? That shuts them up and gives them something to think about. Then they are more willing to negotiate, saying, "Well, how much can you pay this time?" Everything goes swimmingly after that because I begin with the lowest amount and if they aren't happy with that, I raise it just a teensy-weensy bit.

And estimated bills are always going to be higher. But I hate to have meter readers in and out of the house --- I don't know or trust them. That's why I wait to see what's on the bill. If the estimate is lower than the actual reading, I just pay what I can and shut up. Whatever it takes to keep my head above the water and survive. LOL.