10 tips to manage your stress

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

10 tips to manage your stress

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:08 pm

There has been a fair share of stressed-out people around this board lately. But then, that's what it's all about.

I saw these tips to help manage panic and stress attacks and thought I would post here. I especially like #4. I try to use this one at times.

1. Remember that although your feelings and symptoms are frightening, they are neither dangerous nor harmful.

2. Understand that what you are experiencing is merely an exaggeration of your normal reactions to stress.

3. Do not fight your feelings or try to wish them away. The more willing you are to face them, the less intense they will become.

4. Don't add to your panic by thinking about what "might happen." If you find yourself asking "What if?" tell yourself, "So what!"

5. Stay in the present. Be aware of what is happening to you rather than concern yourself with how much worse it might get.

6. Label your fear level from zero to l0 and watch it go up and down.. Notice that it doesn't stay at a very high level for more than a few seconds.

7. When you find yourself thinking about fear, change your "what if" thinking. Focus on and perform some simple manageable task.

8. Notice that when you stop thinking frightening thoughts, your anxiety fades.

9. When fear comes, accept it, don't fight it. Wait and give it time to pass. Don't try to escape from it.

10. Be proud of the progress you've made. Think about how good you will feel when the anxiety has passed and you are in total control and at peace.

From the book, "Feeling Good", by David D. Burns, MD
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:18 am

Ya know what? Worryin never helped a damn thing, but yet we all do it some how. If we could only think when worrying that this wont do a bit of good we may see things differently then reflecting on where the ole brain took us..

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:47 am

That is so true. I come from a long line of worriers, that passed the art down for generations. My family has almost perfected it. I have done my share.

I'm much more casual about it now. Don't worry half as much as I used to. But sometimes I worry that I don't worry enough. :???:

Plus, is denial such a bad thing?
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Evils_HOneyPop

Post by Evils_HOneyPop » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:35 pm

Mauve?? now ya worryin about worryin?? lol.... lets not and say we did.. like I said it wont buy you a new pair of undies or pay your bills or put food on the table..sooooooo THE HELL WITH IT !!!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:50 pm

Oh I love your top list of priorities.

1. undies
2. food
3. bills

I would say you have your priorities in check! Just switched the order of the last 2.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:39 pm

I used to worry until I caught myself spending too much time doing it. My sister had the perfect remedy: she'd ask, "Can you do something about that concern now?" and if the answer was no, she'd ask why you would bother to worry about it in the first place. That cured me!

Evils_HOneyPop

Post by Evils_HOneyPop » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:01 pm

WEll I think of it like this, you can worry worry till you make yourself sick. What good did it do? NODda.... so the hell with worrying just try to think ahead a bit and go with the flow.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:01 pm

Going with the flow here....... I'm flowing....... no worry here in California, right Evils?

Good to hear from you. How are you and your evil twin doing?
~-~-~-~-~

CHICAGOMAN68

HEY IT GETTING HOT IN HERE

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:43 pm

WOW WHAT A HEAT WAVE WE just got into the 60's yesterday but it was rainy all day, hmmm maybe I should take off all my clothes :) sing it with me ladies its getting hot in here so take off all use clothes da da da So evIL welcome back its been awhile!! :)

naynay

Post by naynay » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:44 am

Isn't it worry and guilt...the two most wasted emotions? Geez...wish it were that easy.
Hey Chicagoman...make sure you put some sun-block on with that horrendous heat wave happening!

Also...it appears that my email is working now. I tweaked a few things and I am quite proud that I actually did some research and read some "how to's" to help myself. I usually just feel intimidated and I get frustrated, then I ask someone to tell me exactly what to do. This time I think I fixed it. Well, I did ask you for help, but we just never got that far. I think I also learned some things along the way.
So thanks for being there to help nonetheless!

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:17 am

And you also have one less thing to worry about.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:50 pm

If only our computer problems would go away but they only take sabaticals.

I will say I have concern (ok, I worry) about my computer, since my security is constantly in jeopardy, with so many new viruses and vulnerabilities coming out daily that cause more problems with our computers and rob us of our valuable time trying to fix them. (This frustrates me and I can't help but jump over to check out that IP address and see what part of the world is knocking at my back door today.) I guess that's why I will call it concern because it's necessary and I'm dealing with it instead of just worrying about it. Worry robs us of our valuable time too, doesn't it?
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:57 pm

Tell me about it! Tonight, for instance, I got a spam email whose subject header stated, I JUST REPORTED YOU TO AOL. And although I have no idea of what that is about --- I don't recall offending anyone --- I have to admit that it shook me a little even after I deleted it and reported it as spam.

naynay

Post by naynay » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm

I received something like your notice. Mine said something about anyone can see where you have been on the computer. Or do you know how easy it is to track your computer use and the sites you have visited.

It's so odd because my first reaction was a heartbeat skip, then sort of a paranoid, looking over my shoulder deal. It didn't last long as I realized it was some spam crap. The worst part of the worry was I have nothing to worry about, much less hide. It amazes me that they can screw with your head sometimes.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:19 pm

Well, it's when they tap into your personal and private information that it can be a problem as we have seen when someone assumes someone else's identity and uses their credit. Or they tap into your system and use all of your resources so your computer is so sluggish because there is no bandwidth left. Or if they do a mass email using your email address and you look like a big Spammer.

I had this happen at work one time and my address sent out a mass email to all of my clients and vendors. Well, the problem was that it was the most smutty *&^) you can imagine and windows kept popping up faster than you could close them. That was pretty embarrassing. Haha. I tried to email them all telling them NOT to open the email but I was too late on some and got a phone call wondering why I was sending that. Oh boy!
~-~-~-~-~