Going to a gem show

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Going to a gem show

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:43 pm

I'm going to a gem show in the morning. I'm excited because I get to see many of the designers and what they are making but I really have to do some buying. I have to get supplies so I can go into high gear before the Christmas season gets here. I don't crank them out like an assembly line and that's my problem. I like to play with them and try different things but it's fun, so what can I do?

I've got some local events that I need to get ready for. I've have several necklaces and bracelets that are half finished because I keep running out supplies. I keep running to the local stores for supplies and I end up paying top dollar there, of course. But I get impatient.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:23 pm

That's a great way to get ideas and inspiration! Remember to have a good time while you're there and take notes. Enjoy.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:01 pm

Well, there weren't many designers, or I didn't have time to see them. I was busy getting supplies and didn't get to see half of the show. The day flew by and I really needed two days. It was alot of fun though and I think I mortgaged my future gandchildren.

I got a good supply of sterling silver and gold and some beautiful semi-precious gemstones and Swarovski crystals. Oh, and some pearls and other misc. items. I better get to work, but I just like looking at it all.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:50 am

That happens, but it sounds like you made some great purchases. What's important is that you're focused and are doing something that you love. The money is sure to follow! The only problem sometimes is that it takes a little while, but once that flow gets going, watch out! You'll be deluged!

You could also try having a show at home featuring that jewelry and use it as a promotion opportunity, such as giving short talks and/or seminars, handouts. Your audience could consist of beginners who want to make some jewelry or are interested in learning more about some aspect of jewelry. All of this could lead to published articles and books and ultimately, a nice profitable empire that's all good!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:29 pm

I love your positive attitude. Keeping that is the most expedient road to success. We just have to keep visualizing our goals.

Losers visualize the penalties of failure. Winners visualize the rewards of success.--Rob Gilbert

I am going to do some local shows. Local promotion is probably the most effective too. It does take quite awhile to establish yourself online. That's an ongoing struggle that I share with everyone else.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:27 am

I agree. It's very frustrating. Before starting my first website and forum, I read that those projects would take time and patience. I thought, uh-huh, that's what you think, and continued. But that author was right and it is taking time. But it's well worth it. I'm glad that I did it, which is more than I could say for that long-defunct teaching career. As a first-year teacher, I thought I would make a difference. Yeah, right. At least I was exposed to the field, tried it, and said to heck with it. LOLOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:25 pm

It's all experience that you can take with you. That teaching career had to be extremely valuable in giving you experience on many levels. It also helped you decide what you don't want to do. LOL

Any new business or direction is alot of work. That has never stopped me. I've also had many failures along the road to my successes and it hasn't stopped me from forging ahead, and making more. I wonder whether I never learn or whether I am a pioneer. LOL

I love the quote about if you don't make mistakes, you are not taking enough chances but I can't remember it exactly. But Mark Twain is the master of the quote so his will do. I love how he weaves words in such a way that says one thing that totally means another and gets the point across so eloquently. I don't know how he does that.

"I have had l lots of troubles in my life, most of which never happened."
- Mark Twain
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:23 pm

And there's another quote stating that if you can imagine it, you can do it. I forget whose quote that was, but agree with it 100%. I always imagined moving away from all of the jobs I held at one time or another in spite of being scolded for my laziness at home. Intuitively, I understood that I would never make it by going to a job every day. Being fired never really upset me either; it relieved me of a heavy burden, just knowing that I wouldn't have to work at a job whose novelty had long disappeared. And about a year or two ago, I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki, which changed my view of working for someone forever and gave me the courage to leave that college job. It motivated me to think more effectively about the role of money in my life and consider ways to translate earned income into passive income.