This is where my post would have been

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

This is where my post would have been

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:05 pm

I just finished writing a very long post about a situation that happened today. It took quite awhile to tell the story and just as I was finally finishing, I got the dreaded alert telling me that my network was disconnecting, which means my computer is shutting down and there is nothing I can do about it. I panicked and tried to get to the submit button but wasn't fast enough so it's all gone..... again!!

This happens every few hours and I have lost so many things. I am so frustrated with this and can't figure out what is going on.

I forget that I should type everything into another doc and save every few minutes because it happens when I least expect it.

I want to scream, I'm so frustrated with this issue!! I can hardly wait until my other computer is back, if it ever is. I won't know if I lost everything until my power supply arrives and I can install it.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:06 am

I can relate. Every so often, AOL disconnects me. I can tell that it is coming because I can no longer type words and have lost quite a few nice posts. And every time I get disconnected, I swear to myself that I will sign on with one of AOL's competitors, such as Earthlink. Then I remember that letting a LOT of people know that my e-mail address has changed is more of a pain in my a-- than it is tolerating AOL's disconnects. This doesn't mean that I love AOL. I hate it, but I'm stuck for now.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:17 am

Yeah, this has happened so many times and it's always when I've written a full page and I don't have the energy to do it again.

Don't let your email address stop you. You can work that out. Just keep both accounts for awhile during the transfer and send out a bulk notification. Go for high speed. You will never look back!

Of course then you will always be connected and you will probably spend more time on the computer.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun May 01, 2005 4:53 pm

I wished that I had known all about the possibility of being frequently disconnected during my trial period with AOL. But AOL has screwed up in other ways, such as taking as long as ten minutes to get me connected to the Internet at a time. None of this stuff happened during the trial period! I've already tried to explain this to them, but they apparently don't care. At that time, I demanded a partial refund for putting up with all of the disconnects and junk. AOL tried to tell me that I was at fault, and I in turn told them that the problem had to be at their end, since my computer was fairly new. I was also new to the computer and did not try any fancy maneuvers or click on spam. I've heard that a few other people experienced similar problems. I'm so disgusted with them that it isn't even funny! +_)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 pm

Oh, I know all about it. I've had AOL for years as a backup and my son uses it. I've also heard stories from others. They are such a large company that they don't really care that much about someone who calls for support or requests a refund. They just make it difficult to deal with them and hope you will go away. It's also a given that support will make it your fault if there is any way possible and most people wont' know the difference.

The thing is, it may very well be on the user's end and the variables with everyones setup and systems make it difficult to track down. But the assumption will generally be that it is the customer's problem and due to their system, whether it is or not. It's a double-edged sword with companies not spending their resources troubeshooting people's computer problems. I do that often when trying to track down a problem that could be on my end. But it doesn't excuse the way that AOL deals with their customers.

That's the way it is with many larger companies, yet we continue to use them and they know it.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon May 02, 2005 5:09 pm

That's so true! AOL is much too big and self-serving. You find this out as soon as you use one of their phone numbers and get transferred or disconnected. There has to be a better way. When I used my sister's computer way back when, I signed up for Earthlink, which didn't disconnect me. I still ran into problems with Netscape, though. Every so often, I'd get an error message. Eventually, all my e-mail had disappeared and I wasn't able to retrieve it. But all of that happened a few years ago. At that time, the computer that I borrowed from my sister had Windows 95 in it, which may have been part of the problem. Who knows?