Friday the 13th

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Friday the 13th

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 13, 2005 8:11 pm

Just another day in “my world”.

1. Phone gets disconnected because I didn’t look at the bill after son makes calls to everyone in the world with a phone.

2. Son gets threatened by a pack of guys because someone said something to someone else and it doesn’t matter if it’s true or not.

3. Son knows this is not the "normal harassment" because he wore the wrong color, and he is in danger. He goes to a safe harbor in the office but doesn’t want to name names because he will be a snitch.

4. Security pats him on the back and sends him on his way saying he has nothing to worry about.

5. Son wants to call me to tell me to pick him up a little early because he doesn’t want to stand there and be a target, but the phone is disconnected. He asks teacher to use her email to contact me because he’s concerned about his safety, but she can’t be bothered and tells him he can’t stay in the office and to go back outside.

6. Go to pick up son and he’s not there. I start to panic because he’s one step away from being attacked by gangs everyday. Finally find him as security tracks him down as he’s hiding from one such group who is after him.

7. Gang member comes to my home just as I leave to go to that bank. I come back in 20 minutes to find that a gang bang has occurred on my front lawn. Actually, one guy came alone which was his mistake, even though he thought he had nothing to worry about. There are usually a pack of them waiting to come in at the right moment.

8. My son is the luckiest kid in the world. He may have been able to hold his own but who knows. His friend who lives on the other side of town just happened to be walking by and saw the commotion. He is a sweet kid that has another side as a scary dude. He jumped in and took care of the guy and told him to meet him at his house later with his home boys to divert him away from here.

9. After hearing about this latest threat, that was only one of many, I had determined that my son had to leave that school immediately. He’s 2-3 weeks away from the end of the school year and can’t even finish.

Just another day in the suburbs with the soccer moms, girls scouts and gang members. I hope my neighbors with their perfect little families enjoyed the show.

I feel like I should be hearing a Barney song.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 14, 2005 4:13 pm

I think that it illustrates the "when it rains, it pours" saying nicely. I can relate, because I've experienced days in which one bad or negative thing after the other just kept happening. I couldn't wait for the day to end!
Humongous bills just aggravate the situation, as I also know well. I'm now being harassed by the gas utility for sending a partial payment after I've explained that there's just no way I can send ANY more money right now. The taxes just about cleaned me out, as did the mortgage and smaller ordinary grocery bills. I shouldn't have even bothered. Those greedy pigs just don't care. Too bad that I didn't tell them that I'm wishing them bad financial luck. It's in their karma. Now they'll all have to deal with it, LOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon May 16, 2005 11:38 am

Unfortunately it hasn't ended at the end of the day.

This is the first day of no school for my son and I'm ready for him to go back. LOL.

Oh..... if only it were an option.......
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

crafty

gang activity

Post by crafty » Mon May 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Mauvduh, I wonder if it's possible to have his dad take him for a while to get him out of harms way. I can't believe the insensitivity of the adults in his school. It sounds to me like they are just there to draw there paycheck and don't care about the children that they are supposed to be teaching and where necessary protecting. Are they afraid of the gangs? Why don't they bring in the authorities if that's the case.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon May 16, 2005 11:33 pm

There are a few issues at work. The school doesn't want it to get out that this kind of thing goes on in what is supposed to be a fairly affluent school that is not associated with this kind of activity. If the affluent parents of some of these kids found out that this was going on among their kids, they may pull them out. The school caters to those parents and may loose their high test scores and repultation.

I think the teachers are also afraid of the gangs, or they are in denial too. You don't see them come out of their classes when this goes on.

It's also easy to hide from it. It's an underground activity and the participants know when to do it and where, and it's an orgranized network.

The other issue that effects teachers is that they have a lot of pressure being put on them with new policies making them more accountable for students and their progress. That makes teachers less tolerant of kids who need accomodations or take extra energy or time. That's contrary the intent of those very policies, but that's a biproduct that I've seen. I can understand and sympathize but if the unsuspecting student becomes a victim, then there's a bigger problem, and it's not acceptable.

I actually felt like the administrators were trying to make a case, at times, to look good in their records by using innapropriate words and dramatizing my son's actions. When a parent advocates for their child in that situation, they are viewed as one of those parents who "don't think their kid would do that" type. It's in their best interest to think like that and shift blame. But then that's the whole corporate mindset, where you shift blame and let someone else look like they are at fault.

In our case, they didn't allow my son to give his side whenever there was an issue, and he didn't feel like anyone would listen if he told them. I actually requested that they take his statement last week when he was blamed and punished for taking too long to go to the restroom on a pass from class. He walked into a threatening incident happening in the restroom and left to use one that was farther away. His teacher wouldn't listen and he was suspended from the class the next day.

I asked them to put his statement in his record out of fairness, and so he would feel heard. But they ignored my request. That was a bit strange to me. I guess the recent events were just more of the same.

It's not easy for them either and I don't mean to get into a school bashing session. I did write a letter explaining why I was removing him from the school for his safety and told them exactly why. I'm sure they will be scrambling this week to make the situation look pretty, since this activity is "documented in their records" now.
~-~-~-~-~