I'm back-beaten and battered

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

I'm back-beaten and battered

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:01 pm

No this isn't about Hurricaine Katrina and my heart goes out to all of those effected by this monumental tragedy.

I'm just back from a nightmare of myown, which doesn't compare at all to the above. But it was monumental at any rate. I couldn't even imagine what an ordeal it would be, even though I knew it would be difficult.

I've spent every waking minute on this move for the last couple of weeks, except for the times that I was commuting and working at times. My mother moved in with me for a week to help and I have to say that this woman is unbelievable!! She is sooo much stronger than me. I told her she was a machine that kept going day and night and never took a break. I told her she was going to kill us both if she didn't slow down. No more hearing about some frail, petite, elderly woman who just can't do things anymore. I swear, this woman could carry a small car down the stairs! She's strong. I was dragging myself around ready to faint at any moment and she was going strong. The house was spotless when we left.

I'm so grateful for the help though. She really did a lot and was a big help, even though we have different styles of working. ;-) She will tell you the same thing and finally told me that I just didn't know how to move. Well, I could have got upset for a minute but then realized that I didn't really care if I wasn't a good "mover". LOL. In the end, we agreed to dissagree and had a good laugh about it.

Anyway, as of today, I am officially out of my old house and in my temporary place where everything is in storage and I can't find a thing. I will be moving again soon when I get things situated but making the best of things here. I just got my computer hooked up (on dialup). I gave my satellite system away and hope for DSL wherever I move.

But I'm ready to move on with a life outside of "the move" now. WHEW!!!!

I've also got some houses to show some clients. WooHoo!!
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:58 pm

I'm glad that everything is finally sorting itself out. You had a nightmare situation, no doubt! And your mom helping out was like a gift from heaven.

She reminds me a lot about my mom, who was frail, but very strong and stubborn once her mind was made up. She walked to the supermarket in all kinds of weather and returned with more than one heavy package. Now with the high gas prices, I also walk to the store and lug packages home. My appreciation for mom only deepens. I only hope that my own strength and stamina hold out.

Anyway, I think that you got through the worst part of the move and are stronger and more resilient for it. God bless and all best. :-)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks. Yes, at least that part is over. It will be better when I get moved again so I don't have to commute 3 hours a day. That is proving to be very difficult, especially with current gas prices.

Yeah, that previous generation has some kind of super strength that they call on. All I know is that mine couldn't match it.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:34 pm

I couldn't match it and found that out early on, when my mom used to ask me to go to the store with her and put up with my endless excuses for not doing so: it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too wet or windy, I'm tired, I'm busy, etc. So after awhile, she stopped asking and left me alone to my own devices. I was younger then and much less appreciative than I am now. But she must have intuited that everything would come back to bite me in the butt years later.

And it did, LOL!

But I'm happy to report that I've learned my lesson. Nothing beats the school of hard knocks!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:15 pm

So true and I learned to be more resourceful through those hard knocks.

Tonight, my son and his cousin were saying that they were bored and had nothing to do. We are staying in the country with all kinds of opportunities but they saw none. After pointing out that they could hollow out a cove in a mass of bamboo, they haven't been seen for hours and have been busy creating a room within the trees. They are having more fun than they would with their video games and I'm sure they've learned a great deal along the way.
~-~-~-~-~

jnessinger1

Post by jnessinger1 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:59 pm

boy you arent kidding i am 10 minutes if not less away from work and it saves me an additional 3 hours a day! what a diffrence!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:05 pm

Commuting is not for me! What a waste of time. Isn't it nice to be able to get to work in a few minutes? I couldn't take much more.

I do make the trip on the weekends sometimes though. I'm not quite ready to give up my old home town yet. I miss it, though I also like the part about living in a new place.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:54 am

Commuting is a pain, you're right about that! When I worked in New York, I had to ride two crowded trains, then run with the crowd to Penn Station. I was totally exhausted by the time I got to the office. Thank God it's history.

Yeah, living in a new place is great! And you know what, I don't miss the old place after all these years. Anyway, I heard that they tore everything down to make room for a school or hospital. It's all the same to me because I had no intentions of returning. It's all history, lololol!

Inky

Post by Inky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:02 am

Oh I see, here you are over here where the happenings are.
I see that you moved a couple of months ago, and to the country,
how nice. My understanding is that bamboo takes over where ever
it is allowed to grow freely, and I know this is probably true, because
there was some by the back fence where I lived in San Jose.
It had come through from the yard behind my house and it would
travel underground for quit a distance and then sprout up in the
back lawn. Yes, very agressive stuff.
Is that the son you talked about before? The one you travel with?
I didn't get to go to Baja this fall ... maybe in the spring.

That commuting IS a killer.
I was never good at it, even for a 30 min. dash.
Always late, always racing, just not for me.
Now I'm stuck to the computer and not totally happy about that,
but I really do need to find a very effective way to advertise.
However, I would prefer to hire someone to do it for me.
Well back to the search and all the other.
See you later,
Inky

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Yes, bamboo is amazingly strong and aggressive. It spreads like wildfire and is difficult to get rid of, even when you try to destroy it.
It's very beautiful and useful, as well as overbearing and destructive.

It's used to make weapons to take life and food to sustain it. It was used to make books used by Confuscius in his teachings as well as to record the words of poets and wisdom of the ages.

It's like a paradox.

I came in to my office this morning to find a glass vase full of bamboo shoots in water. They were really beautiful and I was perplexed as to where they came from and wondered most of the day, coming up with a few good stories in my mind of possibilities. It turned out that a very successful colleague of mine put them there as a good-luck tree for me. She told about sharing the luck and how it comes back to you many times over.

I didn't even think of the bamboo I received today until I was almost finished typing this message. Hmm....

Is it a sign of seem deeper, inner meaning that this subject came up here and I received the bamboo today? I know what is more fun to believe.... ;-) I think I'll run with that idea! I'm feeling rather Zenlike today.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:16 pm

There's a reason why things happen, at least in the larger scheme of things. That's what I kept telling myself a few years ago when I was unfairly fired. I also struggled to stay positive and told myself that my mettle was being tested. Then soon after all of that, I did land a much better job, then another, then another. I always believed that there was a reason for all of that in the larger scheme of things....

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 pm

I keep trying to be positive too but my life is certainly in flux. All of the moving is keeping me from feeling settled. I'm going back to that commuting for awhile and I'm not looking forward to it. I've got to start packing again. Whew! Hopefully my move will lead to bigger and better things too. I guess I'm learning to be more flexible.
~-~-~-~-~

Inky

Post by Inky » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:12 am

The Bamboo, what a nice jesture from your friend.
Yes, I believe that certain things happen, shall we say as a sign to us.
To benefit, you need to be receptive and you have to believe.

Some of your writing just blows me away.
You describe and present an entire subject with depth and knowlege
while being brief and to the point.

Are you sure you are not quoting from the encyclopedia
or perhaps you wrote it! ha ha Just kidding.

I'm impressed.

I do hope you won't have to commute for long, that is very stressful.
Maybe some tapes or CDs of something you want to learn or something you like would help.

Take care, See you later.
Inky

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:39 pm

Encyclopedia. LOL. Just for the facts, ma'am.

It's just my alter ego that lapses into drama queen mode. That's what I love about writing. It's like being an actor and getting lost in a role and going with it.

That's when it gets fun and effortless. I've gotten so carried away writing some papers with descriptive phrases that I wonder what pompous as... wrote that?

I guess writers have to be internal actors to come up with dialogue and story lines.

So, Inky and webwriter or anyone else who enjoys writing, do you think of yourselves as actors and assume varying roles when you write about certain subjects?

I was shopping with my sister the other day and she was telling me how she wished she could have the confidence to wear an outfit to a party she was attending.

I told her to imagine she was Sharon Stone and assume her identity to get her confidence when she walked through the door. I'll have to ask her if she tried it.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:47 pm

When I'm writing nonfiction, I play the role of a reporter..... the facts and nothing but the facts, lolol! When I write fiction, I tend to put a little bit of myself into each character. In other words, developing a split personality. I also think that in writing fiction, one is almost forced to "become" each character in a sense.