Mr. Coffee died on Thursday

What's up? Discuss, confide, laugh, cry....

Moderator: Mauveduh

webwriter

Mr. Coffee died on Thursday

Post by webwriter » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:18 am

My reliable 4-cup coffeemaker, Mr. Coffee, gave up the ghost rather quietly last Thursday morning. On that fateful morning, I put in the usual two scoops of coffee and two cups of water and waited and waited and waited. Nothing happened. Oh sure, Mr. Coffee's red light shone brightly, but that was about it. I really needed a hot cup of coffee that morning too. Anyway, I unplugged Mr. Coffee and repeated the process, to no avail.

Mr. Coffee had passed away after about 18 years of steady service.

Not to be discouraged or worried, I pulled out a new 10-cup Braun coffeemaker from my closet. My sister had given that appliance to me as a gift quite a few years ago. Mr. Braun was uncooperative. Its front holder somehow broke off and could not be attached. And even if it had, it would not have produced the desired cup of coffee. What it did produce was a mess of coffee grains all over the counter and kitchen floor.

Luckily for me, I awakened around 4 am this morning and had plenty of time to discard Mr. Coffee AND Mr. Braun in a handy garbage bag and deposit the bag next to the other garbage right before the garbage truck arrived.

But all's well that ends well. I headed for the supermarket and bought a compact, shiny new 5-cup coffeemaker, then hurried home to unpack and use it. It worked beautifully. Hopefully, it will last as long or perhaps longer than Mr. Coffee did, but who knows? Where there's a will, there's a way, LOLOLOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:08 pm

18 YEARS!! Now that's a testimonial for a product. You could do a commercial for a product that lasted that long. You should write a letter to the Mr. Coffee marketing dept. and tell them to put you on tv.

I feel your pain since my I found myself without my coffee maker. I keep bringing things, a few at a time, to my new residence. I ended up bringing the wrong coffee pot for the coffee maker and it won't work with any others. I tried pouring coffee into the filter as I held it over the cup and it kept falling in and spilling the grounds into the water. It was frustrating and I ended up having coffee that I had to chew a few mornings.

I also used a version that uses small pods to make one cup at a time, which was quick and easy, but still longed for my hearty cup from fresh grounds. I needed it a little stronger than the pods were providing.

I finally got a wire filter that I'm currently pouring water through, manually until I get around to getting a real coffee pot that fits my coffee maker, and who knows how long that will take.

But I will do what I have to do to get my morning coffee, even if it means hiking upstream through the snow to catch some water in a rusty can and then walking another 10 miles to the Juan Valdez coffee farm to get my beans. I need that cup. It gives me a reason to get up in the morning.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:15 am

I hear you! Later on that fateful day, I probably did go to the McDonalds, which is only blocks away for a 35-cent senior coffee! Boy, am I addicted!
My new coffeemaker still works fine. Hopefully, it lasts as long as Mr. Coffee did.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:09 pm

I actually looked for a replacement pot for mine today but didn't have any luck. There's nothing like setting the timer so it's ready for you when you wake up. Oh, I miss those days.....
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:21 am

Yeah, tell me about it. It's never easy to replace what has been worn out or lost.

I still miss that stupid coffeemaker! When I went to the supermarket, I became frustrated because even the 4-cup coffeemakers were larger and uglier than Mr. Coffee. So I was forced to choose one of the ugly coffeemakers.

hanzo

Post by hanzo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:36 pm

I have a Senseo though I wish I had something else. I'm limited to 3 different types of coffee.. Medium, Dark, and Decaff. not to mention limited to using a small mug as it's the only thing that will fit underneath the spout. Oh well, It was a gift...

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:48 pm

I used a Senseo for awhile and it nice to be able to make coffee with minimal effort. But it wasn't the best coffe in the world. :(

I missed the good stuff!!
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:56 pm

When I visited my sister recently, I found that she was the proud owner of a 12-cup Mr. Coffee. This coffeemaker even sports a green light, perhaps to let the owner know when the coffee is ready (??). Anyway, that doesn't make me miss my old 4-cup Mr. Coffee any less. Just think, in a few more months, it will be September, marking a year since my old reliable Mr. Coffee died.

Menlo

Post by Menlo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Edited SPAM

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:28 pm

GET LOST SPAMMER!!!!!!