OK Christmas History Buffs

Games, Trivia, Jokes, and more...

Moderator: Mauveduh

birthday

OK Christmas History Buffs

Post by birthday » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:49 am

Answer me these 5 questions. Some multiple choice even. No looking these up since most are multiple choice. You might even learn something.

1. The American version of the Santa Claus was inspired from the name Sinterklaas. In what country did this legend originate?

a. Germany
b. Holland
c. Norway

2. As early as 1773, the name "St. A Claus," was recorded, but it was a popular author who gave Americans their first detailed information in 1809 under the pseudonym Diedrich Knickerbocker. He described the arrival of the saint on horseback each Eve of Saint Nicholas. The author was.

a. Thomas Paine
b. George Bernard Shaw
c. Washington Irving

3. Saint Nick was fully Americanized in 1823 in the poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas", more commonly known as what famous poem?

4. The American image of Santa Claus was illustrated by Thomas Nast, for Christmas issues of Harper's magazine from the 1860s to the 1880s. Nast added such details as Santa's workshop at the North Pole and Santa's list of the good and bad children of the world. The cartoon, entitled "Santa Claus in Camp" appeared in Harper's Weekly on January 3, 1863. In the first Nast illustration, Santa was delivering Christmas gifts to soldiers fighting in what war?

5. An advertising writer named Robert May, invented Rudolph, the ninth reindeer, with a red and shiny nose in 1939, while working on a:

a. series of illustrations for Coca-Cola advertisements
b. catalog for the Montgomery Ward Company
c. Hallmark greeting card campaign

bleudog

Post by bleudog » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:10 pm

birthday,
It's a good think I came back here to help you out. These people are not up on their trivia lately. I will give it a try.

1. b
2. c
3. I don't know. I need multiple choice.
4. Civil War (is that right?)
5. a

birthday

Post by birthday » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:19 pm

Dude, where have you been? These people are slacking here on their trivia. This was a good one too.

Not bad.

The correct answer for:

3. The Night Before Christmas-by Clement Clarke Moore
5. (b.) catalog for the Montgomery Ward Company

Stay tuned. I will whip up some more.

naynay

My turn

Post by naynay » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:23 am

Okay I really want to play too. I'm sorry I missed the last quiz, which was right around Christmas time. How about a new one birthday?

If I had a choice, I prefer these smaller 5-10 trivia questions. I know that I didn't keep up when there was 100 questions; however I was so busy around that time and I couldn't pop in as much as I wanted. I'll try harder this time, and I promise I won't whine if I miss out.

Let the games begin!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:41 am

naynay,

I'm glad you are game for some new games. I am also trying to get some games together. It' on my loooong list. Hopefully birthday will post another. I am working on some contests that will even have prizes. We may start out giving some Stress Bank Tshirts away to the winner to start.

If anyone has any good ideas for contests, please send them in.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

birthday

Post by birthday » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:51 am

OK, naynay. I am putting a game up and I won't make it too long.

naynay

oh boy..a game!

Post by naynay » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:07 am

Yahoo Birthday...let the games begin!

lecou391uzw

there is obviously a lot to know about this. i t

Post by lecou391uzw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 am

thanks !! very helpful post!

lsun232ouj

Post by lsun232ouj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 am

there are good resources