Leaf Fans Are Everywhere

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Leaf Fans Are Everywhere

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:20 am

Posting painting and comments by John Newell

Leaf Fans Are Everywhere
Pic Description: By John Newell

"Leaf Fans Are Everywhere was done for a couple who are good friends of mine as a favour that has haunted me in more ways than one. She is in the alterations business and the painting was intended for her store as decoration more than anything. I seriously miscalculated how long it would take to complete as it is 6 feet long X 5 feet high. The actual subject was adapted from a painting in a book called The Voyage of the Basset by J. Christensen. I changed a lot of stuff around including the intent of the actual painting. It is a satire that pokes fun at the Christensen's story by overtly suggesting that even in a fantasy world, hockey fans and Toronto Maple Leaf fans are there, reality is no boundary. The importance of this concept is that, when it comes to ideas, you can't put limitations on where you get them. There are no finite sources and you sometimes have to go way outside the boundaries of traditional thinking for a solution or response to a question that you might not have even thought was asked. This is the realm of raw creativity. One person's idea often helps someone else to develop the next logical step. Only, to everyone else but the thinker, the next step wasn't logical at all and that is what makes the creative process unique within each one of us.

This painting was initially very tedious to paint, but as it progressed it became more fun. I've since had some even more outlandish ideas as a result so you can expect more on this theme. The next one will illustrate my point about how logical an idea can be once presented, but how obscure it can be until some one actually thinks of it. The central figure is actually a comical portrait of my friend's son. I kind of stretched his nose..."

~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Re: Leaf Fans Are Everywhere

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:22 am

My impression

Whatever the message of this painting, it conveys whimsy and fun with a feeling of Alice in Wonderland meets The Emperor Has No Clothes. It is a fantasy-laden tapestry of color with a velvety, texture that you could almost reach out and touch.

The prominent figure in the center of this painting is a focal point due to its apexial positioning and stature, as well as the quiet stillness of its space. A class distinction is made amidst the kinetic movement of the room full of workers.

The figure is trying to take himself very seriously but he has a bit of the look of a fool on his face in trying to remain dignified in his half-clad state and looks to be wishing that he was anywhere but here.

The cool, pastel palette and the flattened, 2-dimensional shapes that define the upper body differentiate it in the context of the textural surface and vibrant, weighted detail that surrounds it. This combination in conjunction with the downward gaze of the central figure allow it to recede in the balance of the mix to become part of the tapestry of a singular plane, rather than dominate the work. It becomes an accessory like the hats that hang on the wall, and merely a sum of the parts. The pattern of the piece takes the primary position as if it was one of the richly layered fabrics in the painting.

The reference to the Maple Leaf fans is almost an afterthought as we notice the scroll at the bottom; the incongruity bringing notice to the thought of a chance encounter, finding a Leaf fan in the most unlikely place.

This painting has grown on me to be one my favorites, simply because of the texture and lighthearted mood that it projects. The figures are all seriously going about their business yet there is a feeling that nothing is taken that seriously and gives meaning to the saying,
“Expect the unexpected.”.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain