Target Practice

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Target Practice

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:41 am

Target Practice
by John Newell

This is a 1985 scene from the harbour where Orca the Whale was filmed by Walt Disney Productions. Across the harbour you can see part of the destruction of a fishing hut left over from the movie. It was a real fishing hut apparently. The harbour is still in use and the kids are all real people. This image was assembled from a couple of shots I took one Saturday morning. When I realized how the entire scene could become a time capsule captured on film and in some future painting, I was compelled to record the moment. I finally finished the painting yesterday. I had originally thought I finished in March of '98 but had put aside while I tried to figure out how to "fix" a mistake without having to paint a third of the painting all over again. An inspiration I had in the shower one morning helped solve the problem with only minor adjustments. There were no deep thoughts attached to this painting beyond the understanding that the way of life experienced by these 4 kids was nearing the verge of irrevocable change from the simple, idyllic to a far harsher future, not just theirs, ours. This thought process is circa 1985.

~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain