Budge on a Board

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Budge on a Board

Post by Mauveduh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Budge on a Board
by John Newell
Medium: Acrylic on Canvas 30" X 48"

This piece features the quiet introspection of someone lost in thought as they are immersed in the task at hand. It evokes a meditative process as the hours pass and the thoughts travel to many destinations. It is not a time to experiment or try new things or push our limits, but rather bask in the warmth of the familiar and realize the enjoyment that each ordinary and cherished moment brings.

"Remember the song Bird on a Wire? Well, this is Budge on a Board. He is my mother-in-law's next door neighbour in Trinidad. I looked out the window one day, and there he was, painting his windows. The next time I looked, hours later, there he still was. It didn't look like any progress had been made. But the composition was so good, I had to shoot it. At the time, we hadn't met. After shooting the image I went to show him after he'd packed up his stuff. He turned out to be one of those guys that you feel you could have been friends with all your life." -John Newell

The quiet reflection is seen in the soft range of color and deliberate composition that contains us within this realm. Though we feel the comfort of tradition in subject matter, the composition divides the canvas geometrically to provide the contemporary feel of modern depiction. These are the moments when we feel gently productive and safe and content with who we are.

About the Artist >>
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain