New Gallery Images!!

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

New Gallery Images!!

Post by Mauveduh » Thu May 13, 2004 3:10 am

3 more intriguing paintings by John Newell are now on display in our Gallery

You will see a departure from John's many facetted style in a push toward an Abstract Expressionist approach in two of these paintings, Burning Man and Nuclear. The process becomes a dominant element, highlighted by the thickly applied medium and kinetic energy felt in the loosely depicted form. Color defines shape and replaces line to establish ownership as the dominant force in these pieces.

The third, Mikua, is a landscape that just makes you smile as it mesmerizes focus and draws you into this perfect picture of provinciality and safety. The warmth of the sun can be felt as it shines through the landscape. The atmospheric sky and cooler toned mountains command power and presence and hint at the world outside of this quaintly familiar life in the foreground. This is what home feels like with the mountains acting as the wall of safety from the hazards of the world.

The artist has taken a formal aproach in form and content with a departure from realism in the flattened shapes that make up the composition. It has the feel of George Seurat's, Sunday Afternoon on the Grand La Jatte, yet it's a very different painting in almost every way. There is no pointilist style and Seurat's colors lack the vibrancy of this piece but the formal, yet relaxed feel is present. The saturated colors in Micula are hot, yet peaceful and project grace and elegance.

Be sure to visit the gallery for your much needed dose of art. You need it everday ya know. It's important to your health.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu May 13, 2004 5:39 am

Mikula is my favorite, but I enjoyed the other paintings too.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu May 13, 2004 9:39 pm

Is it your favorite of all of them? Or are you referring to the last 3? Just curious.

If anyone wants to rate your favorite, you can give it a rating from 1 to 10. 10 is the highest score.

Click on the Public Categories link to view all of the images and click the Rating link.

Give your feedback and be heard. I know this artist would also appreciate the feedback on individual preferences.

You can also rate the personal galleries. If you would like to rate Crafty's rocks, the rating system is available there as well.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri May 14, 2004 4:27 am

I like the painting that I mentioned, but don't know exactly why. I suppose that the colors and overall harmony of that painting reach out to the artist in me. Even though I haven't painted in a long time, my appreciation for skillfully placed lines, colors, and designs continues to grow. Now having said all of that, I am inspired to go out to the art supplies store and buy a new set of acrylic paint (my favorite medium), brushes and canvases. I like using oil paint as well, but the memories of stinking up my parents' house with them and turpentine still linger on. LOL.

But I digress. I would give my favorite painting a "10" rating.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 14, 2004 6:46 am

Hey, I didn't know you painted, wr. You should go get those acrylics and go for it. These paintings do inspire you want to join in and paint.

I've been doing some creative things too and I'm getting on a roll making some some wire and bead designs. I'ts like scupture and some of these beads are so beautiful. They are brightly colored slices of glass and it's alot like painting because I am adding the accents of colors to make them look random and abstract and I can bend the wire in different shapes to make them look whimsical.

Oh boy. I'm watching a spider crawl accross the wall working its way over here. That is my phobia. Here he comes...........
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri May 14, 2004 11:28 am

LOL. Nuke the spider with hairspray or grab a rolled-up newspaper and squash the living s--- out of him. I don't care for spiders either, but if I see one in the house, it's like WHAMMO with a good spray of hairspray or air freshener or deodorant, end of spider, end of problem for now. LOL. You can also implement the same strategy for moths, bees, wasps or those disgusting waterbugs. Just keep saying or thinking to yourself, I got the POWER. LOL, this is really so funny--- I really cracked myself up imagining all of this --- and got carried away, but I couldn't help it. I am still laughing!!! (My phobia, by the way, is a fear of heights.)

Back to original subject:

I also find beads appealing and think that they offer more possibilities than paint (watercolor, oils, acrylics). They can be rearranged at will and there is no need to worry about them drying up or messing things up. Plus their colors and textures are inspiring.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 14, 2004 5:06 pm

Spider fear is something that I have dealt with my whole life. I watched that spider for a long time today. I tried to ignore it because it was too high up and I couldn't get to it anyway. I watched it make its way all the way around the room. Then it came back to my desk and hovered. I had to get up and move. I looked away but would find my eyes scanning the ceiling and watching those insideous legs amble their way accross the ceiling above me and then I could imagine it jumping on me. I left the room. It won!

These beads that I am working with are fascinating and I just stare at them and I can't keep my hands off of them. They are expensive though and I mix them with some more traditional beads for variety. The thing that is fun is using the wire to mold shapes and then the wire is just a framework and the wire remains visible as an element of the design. I've been doing small things with it but I may try to make a wire sculpture with these bits of color interspersed in strategic areas to direct the eye. I'm out of wire again though so I guess I need to go shopping.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 15, 2004 9:54 am

I can relate. One time, a bee or wasp got into the vestibule of my house as I was discarding some cat poop. I quickly closed the door to the vestibule, ran to my closet and grabbed some air freshener, then went back and sprayed the thing with a vengeance. I got it point-blank and saw it fall on the floor. Then I stomped on it. End of bee/wasp, whatever. And a few months ago, I spotted a moth flying around my kitchen light and it was like hairspray to the rescue. I got that sucker with a couple of quick squirts. My cats were also watching the moth with great interest, but no way I was going to let them try to catch it. Those cats would have eaten it and upchucked it somewhere on the rug. I don't need any more work. Yuck.

(We always had to deal with roaches back home, because the neighbors didn't believe in keeping their places clean. Anyway, during her visits, my grandmother always scanned the kitchen walls, probably hoping to spot a roach. LOL. She could do that very well as she talked to my mom. LOL.)

Sorry to get off the subject, but I got carried away. Hope that spider leaves you alone. If you see him again, spray or whack him a few times with a rolled-up newspaper. I don't like swatters for this because they are too light.

Whew. Okay, I didn't know that beads could be expensive, but I like the idea of creating art with them and wire. I bet that you can come up with some pretty nice designs using their shapes and colors. This also sounds like a relaxing, stressfree activity!

angua641sv

Post by angua641sv » Tue May 08, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks for sharing

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Re: New Gallery Images!!

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:05 am

Links Updated
~-~-~-~-~