Upland Stream

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Upland Stream

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 28, 2004 12:18 am

Time to hop over to the Gallery again for look at the latest painting by John Newell. That's always a treat!

"The natural colour of the rock was pretty boring, especially since there were no shadows that day. So when I realized I had the makings of a time waster on my hands, I decided to get creative. After all, that's what art is all about. So the grey/beige rocks became yellow, green and blue, and the shadows that weren't there materialized not in realistic grey, but in thalo blue and diazo purple. Once I'd dispensed with reality, this became a fun painting to do." -John Newell

Link removed
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri May 28, 2004 3:56 am

Very nice! I was drawn to the great combination of colors and design. However, "Mikula" is still my favorite, though I am not exactly sure why.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 28, 2004 9:07 pm

I love the effect of Thalo Blue used in the shadows to punch up an image and direct the eye to those little hot spots. It's such a beautiful color and I always enjoy seeing how it is used in various paintings. I'm a colorist at heart and can be moved by certain color combinations. Just shows the power of color.

The color pink has actually been used on the walls of certain rooms in criminal institutions to maintain a calming effect.

Mikula is a powerful piece and has a very pleasant and enjoyable feel to it. You can feel the warmth of that sun on your skin and want to walk through those rich green hills. It's a feel-good painting.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 29, 2004 5:33 am

That is what probably attracted me to it. And it does make me feel good.

rearba5762

Post by rearba5762 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 pm

keep up the good work.

ClinicByChoice

Re: Upland Stream

Post by ClinicByChoice » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Great paintings at John Newell . I have been there since 2 years, any updates?