Pickering Spit, by John Newell

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Pickering Spit, by John Newell

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:47 am

Another new release is available in the Gallery. This is a double-canvas work. It's a beautiful natural water-banked landscape that spans the width of 2 pictures for a panoramic view. Enjoy. -M

Pickering Spit, by John Newell Acrylic on canvas, 18" X 24" each

"Titled the Pickering Spit, this painting is of a location about two miles from my house. Actually, it's two paintings. I joined the canvases on the back with a steel plate. The paintings will be separated then framed separately and hopefully hung side by side in the right order. You never know though.

Despite their size, these paintings are only a practice attempt for a much larger 3 panel painting. Each of the 3 panels will measure 48" X 48".

These two small ones will go for $350.00 for both while the large ones will go for about $2,000.00." -JN
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:11 am

Beautiful! Reminds me of a bike trail that I used to travel on.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:06 pm

That would be an incredible place to ride, expecially since it looks flat. I like that part.

I like those punchy blue shadows. Is that cobalt or ultramarine?
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:51 am

Don't know. I'd have to review the differences between those colors. It's been a long time since I've painted!

But yeah, that looks like a wonderful wide-open place to be away from it all. Then I could forget my town, whose side streets feature homes crammed so close together that one could extend an arm from the open window of one house and nearly touch the house next door. There are also more cars, not only those belonging to residents, but to visitors and commuters avoiding parking fees at the train station parking lot. I'm feeling claustophobic and keep fantasizing about living in a spacious estate similar to old English country homes where any parking is a nice distance away. During one study-tour, our group spent a week in a really old English manor in the countryside. We learned a lot simply by observing. One day, one of the nearby sheds' roof was rethatched. Fascinating.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:16 am

That's what I'm missing right now. I miss just sitting and contemplating and smelling the roses. Seems like it's always a rush to do something. I always lived in the country until I moved here.

The convenience was great with the store nearby, but the neighbors are all around, though the houses are not overly cramped. It's nice to go outside and have the countryside to walk and not worry that 10 houses see you get the newspaper in your pajamas. :-)

I've also had to walk downstairs at least 6 times tonight to tell those kids to turn their music down. The neighbors can surely hear that when they are trying to sleep.

I just saw a show on Oprah Winfrey. She found a home in Santa Monica or someplace and fell in love with it. It wasn't for sale so she pulled out her checkbook and wrote a check for 50 million dollars. It instantly became for sale and she bought it. I'm sure she has no neighbors that will hear her music. I guess she could write another check to make them not care. :-)
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:01 am

You mean, as in bribing them to be quiet? LOL. But seriously, that isn't a bad idea, although there could be a downside, as in total strangers demanding money or else....

Maybe I shouldn't complain. After all, the place where my parents and I lived was just around the corner from another tenement that was filled with a few families who used every warm weekend as an excuse to make noise. They actually wired the outside with amplifiers so that their music could be heard clearly from around the corner and beyond! There was no getting away from the noise which often lasted to 2 or 3 in the morning. We used to call the cops about that and the cops always wanted to know our names. I'm beginning to think that someone bribed the cops.

That was quite a few years ago. I haven't returned, but my father did, just for a look. He said that all of those tenements are down and an elementary school was being built on that site.

Nevertheless, I can't stop fantasizing about being completely away from it all, just as soon as I answer the 64 thousand dollar question, where would I go?

jondy

Post by jondy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:11 am

As wide open as this place is, I had to climb a chainlink fence to get onto the spit. One side of the spit is Lake Ontario and the other is Frenchman's Bay. In Frenchman's Bay there is a Marina. On the other side of the Marina are a baracade of townhouses just being built. The style is sort of Cape Cod and the buildings are grey with white trim. The side of the chainlink fence I entered from is a public beach on Lake Ontario. It extends to the Pickering Nuclear Plant with a board walk and environmental restoration all around the plant. So as "country as it looks, this site is actually surrounded on the shore side by the town of Pickering. Right at the end of the spit, I found a bulldozer parked. It's going to be in an upcoming painting. I can hardly wait to start that one. You'll understand why when you see it.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:40 am

Do you like the area in which you live?

I ask because I am seriously thinking about relocating.

jondy

Post by jondy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:31 am

Actually, Pickering has a lot going for it. It's close to Toronto, but not in Toronto. So you have all of the services, shopping, and benefits of a big world class city without the in-city headaches. It's easy to get from my house to the country - less than 6 minutes by car - and it's 10 minutes to Scarborough, a big suburb of Toronto.

The downside for Pickering is the Nuclear Station, but if it goes, so will the rest of Toronto and everything downwind (that's east and includes New York City). However, as much as I detest the Nuclear station, it doesn't do anything offensive, there are no emissions, only spent fuel rods that the government plans to foist on some other unsuspecting, completely undeserving municipality much the same way Toronto did with its garbage. Toronto's garbage, in case you didn't know, is all trucked to Michigan. People in Michigan must really hate Toronto by now. It must be kind of ugly sitting behind a row of those trucks waiting to cross the border on a hot day...

Another thing you need to consider is accessibility to a family doctor. If you plan to relocate to anywhere in Canada, find out before you commit who your family doctor is going to be if possible. Some country communities have no doctors.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:04 pm

Thanks for the helpful information.

Michigan doesn't really have much going for it anyway, and I would never go there or anywhere else in the continental USA. Right now, I practically live a stone's throw from New York City. To give you an idea of how close, you could have seen the smoke from the burning trade center if you looked down our main road on 9/11. And from where I live, it's only a 15-minute train ride to Newark, New Jersey.

But the point is that I'm ready for a change and am researching different places now. I visited Montreal a few times, but didn't care for it. And Vancouver is kind of far. (A few years ago, I took a train ride from Montreal to Vancouver. It was a great trip, especially as we wound through the Rockies.)
Last edited by webwriter on Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jondy

Post by jondy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:00 pm

Then you should check out the Toronto area. At least you can be assured of cleaner air and cleaner water than where you are right now.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:38 pm

Thanks for the tip! I really appreciate it and will check Toronto out.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:05 am

Edited SPAM

easily154vq

Post by easily154vq » Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 pm

wow, that was really cool to see

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Re: Pickering Spit, by John Newell

Post by Mauveduh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:27 am

This painting by John Newell has been added to this post for viewing.
~-~-~-~-~