stolen: The Scream, by Edvard Munch

Share your art. Songs, poetry, stories, pics.

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

stolen: The Scream, by Edvard Munch

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:38 pm

"The Scream", by Edvard Munch and "Madonna" was stolen right off the walls in front of the staff at the museum. What nerve!!!

Why would anyone steal a painting with this kind of recognition? I am amazed that the guy could pull that off.

Norwegian police hunt national treasure

Oslo — Norwegian police said Monday that they are working on several tips in their search for two Edvard Munch masterpieces, including a version of The Scream, after a bold daytime theft from an Oslo museum in front of stunned visitors.

The paintings were stolen from Oslo's Munch Museum on Sunday by masked, armed thieves, who pulled them from the walls as visitors and staff watched.

Inspector Ivar Stensrud of the Oslo police said all available personnel were being to used to search for the paintings stolen, which he described as national treasures.

The thieves fled with The Scream and another famous painting, Madonna, loaded them into a getaway car and sped off. No one was hurt. According to the Norwegian news media, the paintings, worth tens of millions of dollars were not insured against theft.

Insp. Stensrud said that tips, photographs and videotapes, have been streaming in. Police located the getaway car and the paintings' frames within hours of the theft.

“There has been a good response, but not more tips that we can manage to check out,” Insp. Stensrud told the Norwegian news agency NTB. He also said they were going through photographs and videotapes taken at the crime scene.

It's the second time in a decade that a version of the iconic painting has been stolen. Another version of The Scream – one of four that Munch painted – was stolen from Oslo's National Gallery in February 1994 but was recovered three months later.

Insp. Stensrud said police are taking a broad approach to the investigation, and have not yet focused on one motive.

Charles Hill, a former Scotland Yard investigator who helped solve the Scream theft in 1994, said it was unlikely that the paintings were stolen for a collector or for sale because they are too well known.

Witnesses said the thieves – two or three – simply stormed in and yanked the paintings from the walls.

The Scream, Mr. Munch's best-known painting, depicts an anguished figure holding his hands to his head. The Munch Museum had two versions of the painting, a private collector owns the third, and the fourth – stolen and recovered 10 years ago – is on display at Oslo's National Gallery.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... rtainment/
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:29 am

When I first saw a news item about the theft, I was shocked and sickened to such a point that I've stopped reading about it. I just hope that the painting can be retrieved soon and the thieves locked up for life. Still, those thieves must be pretty stupid to think that they will be able to sell such a hot painting. Who would be willing to buy it, knowing that it was stolen? The only reason for the theft might be to complete the art collection of an unscrupulous person.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:39 am

It is really tragic to lose something so priceless in terms of history and influence. And it's not the first time for this painting. You would think the security would be so strict that it couldn't be done so easily.

Most of the museums that I have visited that contain works of this caliber are gaurded and you are not allowed to even breathe on them. Maybe the guy had such a menacing presence that no one wanted to step up and try to stop him. Who knows. It's just a curious situation how this could be pulled off. I guess I don't have that criminal mind to concieve of the plan. That's why I'm Mauve"duh".

I want details!! *()
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm

Could have also been an inside job. Seriously, what outsider has an in-depth knowledge of who is guarding what painting and when, as well as what kind(s) of guards there are. Someone with inside information is bound to know if a valued art object is being electronically "watched." It's very intriguing all the same. I hope the painting is recovered though. In the meantime, I'm thinking hmmm, what kind of person is the thief and what are his or her motives for taking the painting? What kind of planning is involved before the big heist? And what doesn't the thief know about the guards? And suppose one of the guards is in on the heist? I feel a plot coming on.

ouple357np

Post by ouple357np » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 pm

huge loss