A Leadership Strategy is Essential

Share what's working for you. Get advice or insight on anything business.

Moderator: Mauveduh

nuke57

Post by nuke57 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:23 pm

Superior leadership is not easy to come by because the books and academic courses are generally produced by people who have never proven what it is they profess. I tried to learn from these people and ended out producing, testing and proving my own brand over a 34 year career of managing as few as 22 and as many as 1300 employees.

Here is a major part of what I learned.

Superior leadership is a strategy to inspire people to do more, dream more and learn more. We all know that people are our most important asset and that the best ones are self-motivated self-starters. Unfortunately, they are probably only 5% or so naturally occurring.

But my strategy includes a way to make the vast majority of employees self-motivated self-starters who are highly committed and highly productive, up to 300% more so than if poorly motivated. This strategy can be taught to prospective and newly hired managers, be quality controlled, and serve as your standard for excellence in leadership.

Values are the centerpiece of this strategy because employees respect actions which reflect high standards of all the good values like industry, fairness, forthrightness, compassion, honesty, etc while they disrespect actions reflecting low or negative standards. Actions reflecting high standards strongly influence employees toward emulating those standards, but the same emulation occurs for actions reflecting low standards. This is called following. Fortunately, self-motivated self-starters don't follow and thus their performance does not go up and down because of following the latest leadership. This is why the strategy creates these people.

Listening is the most important leadership skill of this strategy because people cannot be motivated or committed to something if they can't "put in their own two cents", when they want and how they want, or if they can't understand and be in on the decision process for things which affect them. Of such things is TRUST built.

So what should bosses do?? It starts with providing employees regular opportunities, one-on-one and in groups, to express their complaints, suggestions and questions. These must be answered fully and in a timely fashion, no hipshooting please. All of the boss' actions in so doing must meet the highest standards of common values like honesty, respect, fairness, forthrightness, industriousness, admission of error, knowledge, quality, and the like. As the boss corrects the complaints, the boss' leadership toward higher standards improves because people generally only complain about things which reflect low standards, your leadership. Turning these low standards into high standards constitutes superior leadership.

These actions will have many effects on employees. As their complaints are respectfully addressed, they will begin to believe that their bosses care about them. They will start to believe that they are valued team members. They will learn how to fix things using the highest standards for all values. They will learn how best to treat their customers, each other and their work. They will start to use their own brains and actions to solve workplace problems, to innovate and to work more effectively, all because the boss is showing such high regard and respect for them. Productivity will rise and keep rising. Creativity, motivation and commitment will do likewise, but only so long as their complaints, suggestions and questions continue to be addressed regularly, respectfully and completely. Why even make a complaint or a suggestion if no action will be taken? Why not just "leave your brain at the door"?

There is much more to a superior leadership strategy (including how specifically to create self-motivated self-starters) because there are many other ways in which employees react to the leadership messages present in the workplace. Each of these ways must be taken into consideration in effecting a superior leadership strategy. If you analyze how you react to bosses and listen carefully to your employees, you can figure out the entire strategy on your own just as I did.

Ben Simonton
Simonton Associates
[url]http://www.bensimonton.com[/url]

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:43 am

Welcome nuke57,

I've got to read this again when I get a little sleep but I've always believed that most of my supervisors could have used some direction in motivating their employees. Giving them opportunities is essential. Employees have to feel like they are progressing or motivation will die, just like their self-esteem. And they have to feel like they are heard and make a difference. It's easy to feel invisible in a company, which is really counterproductive to motivation. Responsibility gives purpose. Micromanagement never worked with me. It just got in the way of doing a good job.

Great subject.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

nuke57

Post by nuke57 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:09 am

Mauveduh,

Thanks for welcoming me.

You say that supervisors need direction in motivating their employees. That is a fallacy in that supervisors cannot motivate people. People have their own motivations deep inside their brain. Many people don't even know what their motivations are because they have been too busy taking orders from parents, teachers, churches, government and bosses, too busy conforming and not busy trying to figure who they are and what they want. The best thing that supervisors can do is to release people to the power of their own motivations and free them from the bondage of following.

Micromanagement does not work for anyone because direction (orders) causes us to stop using our brain to figure out what needs to be done and how to do it. Thus the workplace loses the value which a human being brings to the job - creativity, productivity, commitment and motivation from their brainpower. Providing direction is probably the weakest, most damaging action any boss can take - unless it's a dire emergency and there is no time to waste. No person wants to be directed and if they do it just means that they have been beaten down so often that they just give up fighting it and say "Tell me what you want me to do and how you want it done."

Yes, it is a great subject.

Best regards, Ben
[url]www.bensimonton.com[/url]

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:12 pm

My point is that supervisors motivate by letting go and trusting their employees to do their job. And that also makes them accountable if they don't do it correctly. But as you said, it makes them more creative.

Being able to be creative is what motivated me. I loved my job when I finished a project and felt good about it. Other times, I hated it, when I felt that my control was taken away. That powerlessness makes you feel like a victim.

I saw a real example of some of what you talked about in your post. I worked for a startup software company for several years and helped build it to the point where it was acquired by a larger corporation. I was in a middle management position. The integrity that the founder maintained and showed to those in his company was evident and we worked as a team to keep standards high. There were problems and we weren't happy all of the time but we felt that there was consideration and fairness underlying each decision and worked to make the product better.

It was interesting to see the transition after the acquisition. We were assured it was still a team and that they cared about all of us and we were positive about the new opportunities and growth.

But with time, there was a real erosion in that system as the new faceless team across the country took over more and more. The moral dropped tremendously and many people just didn't care anymore. They became a number and felt like it didn't matter what they did because it was met with criticism and they felt like they could be gone in a minute and no one would care. The integrity was gone and the recognition of individuality was gone and the company had lost its humanity in the eyes of its employees. I got to see both sides being in the middle. Decisions were made in secret meetings that would be sprung on the unsuspecting workers that breeded distrust.

I heard the talk from both employees and upper management being in the middle. It was most evident with employees but it filtered its way into management also as they felt their power slipping away.

When my turn came to be downsized as they moved my department across the country, I was actually happy and excited. I liked my job but it had lost something that made me want to go there. Unlike others, who were handed their check and told to leave immediately, I got to stay for 2 weeks and had a party at the end.

I have no hard feelings but it was more of a sadness for the loss of what the company was and stood for before it changed. In the end, everyone was driven by fear. That was felt on both sides of the country. Blaming and backstabbing replaced working together to find solutions. I had sadness for the people who were still there and were so unhappy. They would put in their time, but make sure they didn't give anything more than was required.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

davidansler45

Post by davidansler45 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 am

Hi,

I believe in

Respect people’s valuable time, they will really respect you - Never promise something you can not deliver, you’ll only lose your face

Lisa00

Post by Lisa00 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:52 am

Leadership skill or strategy to follow up is necessary to reach success. But most importantly, the man should see general attitude towards the other people.

abadam

Post by abadam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:46 pm

I think so, I feel we need to do many things, but we can not remember a time!
Discount Golf | TaylorMade R9 Irons,if you like,welcome to join us!

SuperTeams

Post by SuperTeams » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 am

Superior leadership is all about the steps and the inititive taken by us on the real moments.We have to build the great understanding with the co-worker as well and keep them motivated.

macharris08

Post by macharris08 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 am

Leaders should take instant decision but very smartly.
<a href="http://www.golearnforex.net">how to trade currency</a> | <a href="http://g3forex.com">FX Trading</a>

adamparker

Post by adamparker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am

My toughest healthy skin problems were always from shaving. I just eliminate every other day now and I use Neurogena eliminate lotion. Using that good eliminate lotion, plus cutting in the bathtub, and also not using a powered shaver have done amazing things for me.

jeffiemiller08

Post by jeffiemiller08 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 am

A good leadership strategy is really very important. People should understand the value of good strategy and should plan good successful strategies.
<a herf="http://www.golearnforex.net">learn forex trading</a> | <a href="http://3rdgenforex.com">Forex Market</a>

Claudius

Re: A Leadership Strategy is Essential

Post by Claudius » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 am

It can work more like a need,Basically having it can work like nothing else according to me.Most basic thing is to have that level of appropriate growth that finally help us with moving ahead and letting us understanding a lot of factors no matter if we do not have it but yeah gaining and learning is called life which actually works.
For a Professional need business agility works for sure.

Melaniatef

Post by Melaniatef » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi

Would you like to trasfer the following strategy of WLD into OQ?

I tried several times but failed.

var BAR, P: integer;
InstallprofitTarget 5 ;
for Bar := 21 to BarCount - 1 do
begin
ApplyAutoStops Bar ;
If Momentum Bar, #Close, 3 > Momentum Bar - 1, #Close, 3 then
If Momentum Bar, #Close, 3 > Momentum Bar - 2, #Close, 3 then
If Momentum Bar, #Close, 3 > Momentum Bar - 3, #Close, 3 then
BuyAtMarket Bar 1, ;
end;

Additional, I wanna close all position at 3:00 pm.

Kind Regards