Stressed Skin Part 2 Damage Control

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Stressed Skin Part 2 Damage Control

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:24 am

I was reading an article about stress and your skin so I thought I would share a few points that were mentioned.

Stress can cause chemical reactions that flood our systems with Cortisol and androgens (male hormones). This triggers our sebaceous glands to pump oil that causes acne. Itchy rashes can appear. Skin flareups, such as psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, etc. may be triggered by the emotional turmoil of our complicated lives. Hair loss can occur, nervous ticks can surface and decreased immune systems can cause slow healing.

Sounds so scary that I’m getting stressed just reading this. Well here are a few tips, that are basically common sense but they explain the dynamics behind it in simple terms and it doesn’t hurt to be reminded.

1. Sleep, of course, is one of those common sense tips, but if you are like me, you never get enough. This scenario produces those free radicals that damage your cells.

Sleep causes antioxidants to surge and returns those Cortisol levels to normal after our stress-drenched day has them rising faster than your kids can spill their grape juice on your freshly cleaned carpet.

2. After bath treatment (if you have time for a leisurely bath). A shower will work too. This is the best time to hydrate your skin. This goes for topical medicines too, says Nia Terezakis, M.D., clinical professor of dermatology at Tulane university School of Medicine in New Orleans.

Gently massage the skin with creams and lotions. Take your time and focus on yourself.

3. Energizing your skin. The skin is the first organ that is deprived of nutrients, oxygen, and all that goes with that during stress. This is exacerbated with our caffeine intake and skipping our exercise routines.

It is recommended to slough off the dead cells, as I mentioned previously, but it doesn’t have to be restricted to your face. Let your whole body feel rejuvenated.

You can use a lufah or body scrub substance, or a salicylic acid-cleanser for more aggressive treatment. Then follow with a moisturizer.

Give yourself your own spa treatment at home. This isn’t just for women either.

I’m trying to inspire myself and I think it is working. I am due for a day at the spa.

Information published in Lifetime magazine, April, 2004
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain