Recovering from shoveling snow on Monday

What are you doing right now? Hugh?

Moderator: Mauveduh

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:01 am

Snow that had been predicted to fall on late Sunday night arrived, dumping about an inch and a half in our vicinity. I got up early on Tuesday and shoveled it away before all of the neighbors got up (Who needs an audience?) and was back inside, enjoying breakfast afterwards. And by midmorning, the sun had melted nearly all of the few traces of ice and snow.

However, this relief is going to be temporary. There is still January and February to go! I'm still recovering from all the snow I had to deal with earlier this year too, LOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:22 pm

We have been enjoying the sun shining and unusually high temperatures this holiday. It has been like summer. For those who live in the snow area, it is probably unimaginable to have a Christmas without snow. But we are used to it here on the coast.

I used to Live in Lake Tahoe and remember looking for my car antenna to find it when it was buried. It was not fun shoveling all that snow, but is nice when you are on the slopes or sitting inside by the fire.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:43 pm

I agree. Looking at the snow from a cozy place by the fire and not having to worry about shoveling it is great. And Christmas and winter months without snow sounds good to me, as do the warm or mild temperatures.

Here in the northeast, a snowy winter just means additional misery, such as getting rid of 6+ feet of snow from the sidewalks, driveway and car. I don't have a snowblower, so already that work consumes a good three or more hours of my time. One year, either snow or sleet or a combination of snow and sleet fell nearly every day. All of the roads were iced over and the ice on the sidewalk was impossible to remove. There was little to do except sit home and deal with cabin fever. Even the school kids were complaining about being forced to stay cooped up at home. I never used to mind winter that much, but I mind it now. That snow can be too much. And for anyone who loves snow, let them move to Maine or Vermont or New Hampshire.

CHICAGOMAN68

sitting here watching WILLY WONKA

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:36 pm

what im watching willie wonka and cuddled under my blankets wooo we had a cold freeze below zero the other day and now this week supposed to be getting up into the 50's a heat wave only the other day i was deicing snow and ice off planes and now this week wont have too OK back to willy wonka ompa dumpa dupatity doo :)

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:18 pm

The rains hit here after our summer weather. We had a flood warning last night. I'm hoping it isn't too bad for my drive to my sister's house tomorrow. I will be watching her kids while she's in Vegas but I plan to pretend I'm at a resort in her new house. The kids will have to wait on me and tend to my every need while I enjoy the plasma tv and swim in the pool (in the rain?). I haven't told those kids my plan yet. I wonder if they will go for it. ;-)
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:01 am

LOL, I just love your plans for the kids! Having them wait on you would be very much like being on vacation. I wouldn't tell them, though. If they do catch on, you can always tell them that it's all a game (without letting them know that they are the losers, LOL).

Yeah, and I heard about all of that rain in the TV news. Those floods are very scary. Hope that they don't affect you and your plans. Good luck! Oh, and we are experiencing milder temperatures here in the northeast. I hope that they continue. Every week without snow counts. It costs me time and potential income every time I am forced to shovel snow and wipe it off my car.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:26 pm

Good luck with all of that snow. It is really snowing in Lake Tahoe and I just saw all of the people who are stuck en route trying to get there on the news. The skiing will be great once the storm is over but I wouldn't want to make that drive right now. I also saw people who are flooded in Las Vegas. I saw a woman sitting on her car surrounded by flood waters.I thought of my sister who is on her way there today. Hmmmm..... They are not used to alll of that water in the dessert. Teh people probably don't know what hit them. LOL.

But it's nothing compared to what those people experiencing the tsunami tradgedy are going through. That kind of devastation is beyond comprehension and my thoughts are with them.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:38 pm

Yeah, a chill went right through me as I watched the events unfold on the TV news. I couldn't even imagine such a horror in a million years! Then I see pictures and stories in the newspapers. That thing is just mindblowing! My prayers and best wishes go out to the survivors who will have to eke it out until help arrives. Hopefully, that help will reach them soon.

CHICAGOMAN68

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:25 pm

well we just got hit with our snowfall we have 15 inches here in Chicago it just kept comeing down and down and down faster then we could "DEICE" the aircraft two nights ok we had to cancel over 300 flights at ohare because once the plane was "clean" ( NO TRACES OF ICE OR SNOW ) it would accumulate again we even put four trucks on one plane and still wasnt "fast" enough Boy I didnt get home till 3 am that morning with all the snow and Visibility on the roads with the wind whipping literally about 40 mph > I guess thats why they call us the windy city!! :)

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:44 am

I hear you, Chicagoman! Yesterday morning, I spent a good 3-4 hours shoveling snow off the sidewalk and driveway and car. I could have also gone out on Saturday night to shovel, but the snow was coming down really hard, so I just said to heck with it. The wind made shoveling more difficult. Anyway, it's freezing today so far and the forecasters are predicting about an inch of snow tonight and on Wednesday. I'm cold and sore and am not looking forward to doing that work all over again.

nitizer064

Post by nitizer064 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 pm

The hazards of winter...

Melaniatef

Post by Melaniatef » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:41 am

Thats a natural body reaction, take it slowly.
Let him down & know slowly that its only fun your after?
xx