loaded junky

What are you doing right now? Hugh?

Moderator: Mauveduh

naynay

loaded junky

Post by naynay » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:47 pm

I was just taking a good 5 to 10 minutes of my private time to delete unwanted emails. Sometimes I scroll to the bottom and find the unsubscribe link to get rid of them once and for all...but often that link is just another "switch and bait" situation and who knows where you are taken from there.

Oh boy...I recently had my computer upgraded and it was so great to be free of junk emails. However, it sure didn't last long. I am now getting about 20-30 daily emails( and growing) from unwanted sources again. Mortgage/re-finance offers seem to be the majority, but also online medications, sexual enhancements, single ads, credit card offers and many more.

I resent these unwanted scum's who keep saturating my private domain. I know I am not alone, but I am not sure is this normal and expected if you use email? Is there something that I am doing wrong? Before my ugrade I was receiving far more of these ads, which makes me feel like they will keep multiplying with further use.

Does anyone have some real good advice concerning this invasive trash? I have a firewall and Norton virus protection. However, the reason I had to upgrade my computer in the first place was because of a virus that started tearing and eating up my hard drive. I was told that these types of emails are the ones who are carrying the viruses.

I have learned not to even open one of these emails, and I have gone to the unsubscribe or the "stop receiving further emails" links. However, many of those just take you on a further "circle jerk." What is the best solution? It doesn't look like anyone is really "free" of this garbage, but I am sure eager to get some feedback on the best way to handle these maggots.

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:38 am

Hi Naynay,

I feel your pain. Usually, I don't even bother to unsubscribe for reasons that you've already mentioned. I also delete unwanted garbage in my regular mail and that which appears in the spam filter. AOL has a little box on the bottom labeled, "Report Spam," for users of its 8.0 and 9.0 versions, and is good about identifying the culprits and hauling them to court.

Aside from using this feature, there is very little that I actually do, other than deleting the stuff. I know, this is a time-consuming pain, but there doesn't seem to be other options.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:51 pm

I know that pain too. I get so tired of all of the junk email. I've set up some filters to lessen it but the spammers spend their days trying to find ways to get around it and many succeed.

I would suggest filtering some of the junk email in your mail program. If you use Outlook, you can set filters in there. If you get mail through your Web host, you can probably set some filters up there like with somethhing like Spam Assassin.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 am

Sounds like a great idea. My filter often keeps out certain annoying spam from an address, "donotreply." I've never opened that spam and never will. Just wish that I could send some spam back. Maybe that'll cure a lot of spammers, a dose of their own medicine, LOLOL!

jnessinger

Post by jnessinger » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:27 am

HEY JUST GET THE FREE PROGRAM INCredimail and it wil block and bounce back the spammers and others you dont want to get mail from try it

naynay

Post by naynay » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:04 pm

When you say it will block the unwanted SPam. Do you have to actually give them names and emails of ones you want blocked. How do they know which to block.

That probably sounds like a stupid question but I remember trying to use Outlooks or maybe someother program..maybe AOL...anyways they wanted me to list the emails that I wanted to block. I remember thinking that I didn't have the time to write down each and every time I get unwanted advertisement or spam.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:07 pm

In Outlook and in many other programs, you can list keywords that it will filter on and if the email contains those words, it will tag them as SPAM. You can also right-click on the email in Outlook and send a particular sender's name to the junk mail list.

There are several ways to set it up to get rid of the SPAM.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

jnessinger

Post by jnessinger » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:46 pm

o man i am procratingating im supposed to be moveing in my new apartment in a two weeks and i have still to finish packing!! i got into it with my brothers long story lets just say im not going to have christmass with the family this year although proballly invited i sure as hell aint going trying being ganged up on 4 out of 5 brothers saying im lazy and have only been looking out for myself when my dad when still living here fell down the stairs and cracked his head open and i was the only one around to take care of him and took him to the hospital some how it was my fault even though it was my other brothers idea to move him out and then dad gets llost around new neighborhood and comes back here anyways i will be in new apartment in a month and i still have all this packing to do anyone want to help! i have a ticket to chicago for ya :)

jnessinger

Post by jnessinger » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:48 pm

just use incrediamail it is cutesy i know but it works it bounces all the email back to the person who sent it and says your email isnt available so you dont get spammed

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Whoa now. Try some shorter sentences. I'm getting dizzy!! Where is your dad now? Who is he living with?

I feel for ya. I'm still moving and feel like I'm living in my car since my things are at so many locations. I'm going to move some of my things this weekend again to another location where I will be staying. It will be nice to have a place to land and cut my commute.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:38 am

Whew, that is very stressful. Besides commuting, you have to remember where every item is. That's no fun. I can remember how difficult it was keeping track of stuff that I moved out of the apartment and into the new house. Since the distance between those two places was a few long blocks, I used the car. Since the car was small, several trips back and forth were necessary. Then I had to unpack and put stuff away. The whole experience was a total nightmare and I dread having to repeat it any time soon.

Anyway, best of luck to you! Remember to take a break and get some sleep.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:50 pm

I could use some sleep. I just got home and it's 9:45 at night. I have to get up at 5:30 and drive back. But I may be selling a house tomorrow so it will be worth it to drag myself back over there. Let's hope it's a good match with the home and the buyer.
~-~-~-~-~

kiou623hqy

Post by kiou623hqy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:05 am

There's so much more stuff going on than you think.