Get that bug!

What are you doing right now? Hugh?

Moderator: Mauveduh

webwriter

Get that bug!

Post by webwriter » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Maybe I'm just in a silly mood, but a few of the bug extermination commercials on the radio caught my attention. One commercial that really stands out features different voices expressing disgust in seeing a creepy, crawly creature such as an ant or spider. That was so stupid and made me wonder who actually bought into that commercial and called the advertising company.

I've crossed my fingers and knocked on wood, hoping that I don't need to call those guys in. Last year, I believe, there were quite a few hornets buzzing around the eaves of my house and I had no choice but to call an exterminator. His visit cost me 159 dollars, but it looks like the hornets are gone for good.

Nowadays, I have my arsenal of weapons all ready to go -- newspapers, all ready to be rolled up as swatters, Chlorox, and a choice selection of kitchen spray cleaners. Last night, I wiped out a moth (don't know how it got in) with a few spritzes of a fragrant kitchen cleaner. It fluttered around, losing altitude, until I spritzed it a little more. No more bug! Those outdoor spiders and so-called lightning bugs are a pain too, but I'm ready for them. Haven't seen any ants yet --- maybe they instinctively remember the Chlorox.

Sincerely, Bug Killer! LOLOLOLOL!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:35 pm

Sounds like you are quite the hunter! :-)

I don't have too much problem here with bugs, except once in awhile I spot a big ugly spider and they are my phobia. After the panic, followed by catatonic state, followed by chills, followed by shaking, get under control, I go to the next step.

I have to get a big ball of kleenex, climb up where it is and then go into a Zen state to actually proceed and rationalize that leaving it there will be worse than finishing the task because I will not be able to do anythng but stare at it to make sure it doesn't get any closer.

I brace myself, use my mind over matter skills, and lunge the ball of kleenex with lightning speed to grab it, squeeze tightly, and run to throw it in the toilet before the victim (or myself) knows what has happened.

I quickly flush, staring intently for a brown spot to let me know that I actually succeeded. I have a flash of guilt for the poor thing, while thinking it's survival of the fittest and it was either him or me. We couldn't coexist in the same dwelling. It's just not possible.

It took years before I could manage to take on the task myself. I had to have someone else do it. But when living alone, you find that you have to learn to deal with, seemingly, impossible tasks.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:34 am

Most definitely!

I don't like bugs, period, but have been afraid of them nevertheless. I know that I still have to get rid of an annoying bug, so I do the next best thing, which is to spray it with something like Chlorox. Or swat it one with a rolled-up paper. Fortunately, I don't have to do those things often, which is fine with me.

Maybe some of these feelings have come from living in a tenement with my parents. The neighbors on either side of us weren't very clean and every so often, we'd spot and kill a few roaches on the kitchen walls or ceilings. Crumbs and sticky substances like soda were always wiped up. Dishes were always washed. And my mom was always on my back about keeping my room tidy, especially before her own mom visited us. It was really funny because my grandmother's attention seemed to be focused on the kitchen walls. I was only seven years old at the time, but noticed this right away. I was also smart enough to keep my mouth closed, LOLOL!

maico886

Spiders

Post by maico886 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:07 pm

What's up with that spider phobia?
Last night, there it was, this HUGE eight legged thing parked on the ceiling just above my bed.
Well, I did what every brave, fearless male does in a situation like this, I told my girlfriend to get the baseball bat and squash that thing!
So there I am, too lazy to move while she's herding this thing across the ceiling while trying to smash it with the big end of the bat. Well, you can imagine what happened, just as this hairy little thing ( it was at least three or four feet across) moved directly above me, it decided to dive bomb probably what it sensed was it's most obvious victim, me! Direct hit!
Now, normally I'm not too insecure with my manhood but, I won't go into what happened next. Suffice it to say "faster than a speeding bullet".
It was a fight to the death and I'm still here!

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:54 pm

Ugh. Sounds like a job for something like Top Job or Chlorox. That hairy thing was probably a millipede. I just destroyed one on the kitchen floor several nights ago with kitchen spray. Then I mopped it off the floor with a wet paper towel, which I crumpled up good to suffocate the thing and threw it in the trash, making sure it landed on a few pieces of cat crap. I don't know how that bug got on the kitchen floor, to be honest.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:24 pm

LOLOLOL. What kind of hunter gatherer male are you? Did you scream like little girl? LOL. I love it. I can just see that scene. Oh well, at least your not afraid to show that vulnerable side.

I was just thinking that if I ever had to write a personal ad, I would have to include, "must be willing to handle all bug extermination". That may be reason enough to get married.

Millipedes are my other phobia. Now those things are just nasty. They are almost worse than spiders. I really can't bare to even look at them. All those little creepy legs going every which way would push me over the edge of sanity. Don't even go there...
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:56 pm

They are, and they scurry away quicker than cockroaches. Roaches are nasty too, and when I lived at home, I saw enough of them to last me a lifetime. If the lights stayed out long enough, then were put on again, a few roaches could be seen making a quick getaway, LOLOL.

We also put up with a rare mouse or two. Fortunately, we always had cats, so they took care of any mouse problems. Occasionally, one of the cats would bring in a dead mouse in his or her mouth from the yard.

Well, those experiences are light years away in the past. The tenement that we lived in, along with the ones on each side of us were torn down for a new school building. In fact, all of the buildings on that block were torn down, with a weed-filled abandoned warehouse across that thoroughfare knocked down. A hospital occupies its place.

At least that's what my dad says. I'll never go back there, even to look, because there are too many memories. That one can never go back home again is true. Things might have been worse for me if I didn't quickly locate a new place to live and get out of there while I still had some sanity left.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:52 pm

Oh, I lived in a house where we had a mouse infestation once. It was terrible. I remember having a futon on the floor and they would run across you legs. UH!

Then when we started trapping them, you could hear the snap go off on those traps one after the other. Then you have to deal with their bodies after the fact. They had multiplied really fast and there were so many all of a sudden.

Then there is poison that you put out and they eat it. It's all too disturbing to think about. Then I worried that they would die in the walls and I would start smelling it. It was traumatic.

I also had guilt in killing those animals, no matter how miserable they made my life, which is why they got out of control. I couldn't deal with them until it was critical.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:17 pm

I would not have liked that job at all! Nor could I imagine a mouse running on me as I slept or sat on the couch. Yikes! At home, my parents also set mousetraps, but that was far and few between. Once in a while, one of the cats would bring a trophy, a dead mouse in her mouth in the house. The cat headed for the kitchen and dropped the mouse at my mom's feet.

My parents also set out more roach "motels" than mouse traps, however, another job that I would never do. I didn't like handling those motels or changing them once they had a few dead occupants. My biggest concern was that one of the cats would find a motel and play with it, or eat poisoned roaches.