Lawnmower chronicles

Let's hear some whining!

Moderator: Mauveduh

webwriter

Lawnmower chronicles

Post by webwriter » Fri May 14, 2004 12:21 pm

Normally, my next-door neighbor is quiet and considerate, but all of this ends once he mows the lawn. The lawn is not huge, just your average postage-stamp size in the front and postcard-size in the back. Anyhow, he has been at it for nearly 20 minutes, back and forth, back and forth, unnecessarily. The grass looks fine; it is quite short already. I think that the guy has an eye and ear problem of some sort. Anyway, I am just dying to open the window and yell, whassa matter with you guy! Can't you see that the grass is short enough? Are you trying for a lawn that is completely BALD. Stop, you're driving me crazy.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 14, 2004 4:53 pm

Hahahahaha!!

So he's mowing the lawn that's already been mowed to death. Maybe he has OCD and he has to go back and forth a certain number of times to relieve his compulsiveness. (Oh that OCD idea may have be worked in that novel at your forum.) Maybe he gets to the other side and sees a single blade of grass that he missed and he keeps missing just one. Maybe he's got a good cardio workout going and he's trying to burn off some calories. Maybe he knows how annoying it is and he's passive aggressive and is loving every minute of it. Maybe ........
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 15, 2004 10:20 am

...he is plain nuts. There are people like that. I am usually able to tune the noise out, but yesterday, it was getting to be too much. I was sitting at the computer, working, and the danged noise in the background just wouldn't let up. Maybe I could help him out in his quest for a bald lawn by spraying the remaining grass with Round-Up (a weed killer). LOL, just a murderous thought. LOL.

Anyway, I like your idea of fitting OCD somewhere in the ongoing novel. It would make the afflicted character more lifelike and even become a factor in a plot twist.

maico886

lawnmowing

Post by maico886 » Thu May 20, 2004 5:36 pm

The proper way to mow a lawn is to go back and forth (for instance;north to south) and then again east to west. Literally mowing it twice. Pulling your mower rather than pushing it is also more efficient and easier.
Maybe your neighbor is just a perfectionist. I've known guys who were pretty anal about thier lawn.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu May 20, 2004 10:17 pm

You sound like you know your lawn mowing. You wouldn't happen to be one of those "perfectionists" about your lawns, would you? Well, if you are, have I got a lawn for you?

Anyone ever see the anal retentive carpenter on Saturday Night Live? It was an old one. I loved that skit. Now we get to see the same skit in reality all over TV in the home improvement shows. They are fun to watch too.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Fri May 21, 2004 4:48 am

Maybe those home improvement shows will feature a special about the RIGHT way to mow and care for a lawn. What people do to their lawns is a crime and those perpetrators should be cited as lawn abusers or lawn killers. Just having the right equipment is insufficient. People need to be educated, seriously! Or else hire a trustworthy, competent landscaper.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Fri May 21, 2004 10:32 pm

I say you make a citizens arrest!

Although if that were the law, I may be spending the summer in jail. OK, I'm going to try to spend some time doing yardwork tomorrow, if I can find the time. I'm inspired. Tomorrow may be another story though.

"Indecision is the key to flexibility."

Thanks maicco. I now have a quote that can turn indecision into a virtue.

I think Benjamin Franklin said that. ;-)
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Sat May 22, 2004 5:14 am

Nah. That is why I gave up mowing my own lawn a few years ago with one of those old-fashioned "push" mowers. I wound up tearing up some of my grass nor could I cut the grass around the perimeter either, since the mower tended to flatten it out. Then I got a landscaper who cuts the grass and does the edging work with great results, and it's worth it. The lawn looks great and I am not afraid to look at it anymore. LOL. He shows up every week, saving me time and aggravation, especially in hot, humid weather.