Cars

Let's hear some whining!

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Cars

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:39 pm

Don't you hate it when your car breaks down? That happened to me last night on my way to class. I broke down about an hour away from home. I never even made it to my class and had to have my car towed home.

For now, I'm stranded and missing my classes.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:50 am

OMG, Mauveduh, I can't even imagine a worse nightmare! I have to admit that the thought of my car breaking down (it's 18 years old) on the Parkway, particularly at night, keeps crossing my mind. It's like what if? I even find myself praying silently, please God, let me get to where I'm going safe and sound. I'll be good, I promise! LOL.

But having something happen like it did to you is no laughing matter and I hope that you have better luck with your car and your classes.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:57 pm

I'm about to take off for another attempt to make it to my class. We will see if the repair on my car works. It was still running hotter than usual. If I don't come back, send out a search party. LOL But I won't get out of class until about 10 tonight anyway so I will keep my fingers crossed.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:18 pm

Well, my fingers are crossed. Hope everything works out. Good luck!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:14 pm

It was an interesting trip. My car started to heat up and hit the red zone and just as I was ready to turn around and come home, it started cooling off. So I continued on...

That was only the beginning! After breaking down last week on my way to class and never making it, I was determined to get there this time but I had some "incidents" on the way. LOL.

I got to the location to find out that the class was at another location but it was not listed on my schedule printed from the Web site. (I found out later that there was in issue with the font that hid the text.) I was late by now and waited for the receptionist to print a map for me, while I paced nervously. ;-)

I got on the road and missed the exit, turned around tried to get pointed in the right direction but ended up taking a wrong turn. It's very confusing with all of the intersecting highways and roads.

By now, I was already an hour late for class. I finally got on the right road but didn't know which way to go so I pulled into a Starbucks, got some coffee and tried to find out which way to go. I asked everyone in sight which way to go to get to 1900. Can you believe no one knew? I asked 10 people who work there and are there every day and no one knew any addresses or which way was ascending numbers!

This is the middle of Silicon Valley so you can go blocks and you just see one building that goes on forever so I couldn't just go look easily. One guy said he thought it was "that way" so I proceeded. I was trying to to find an address and looking so hard that I ran a red light and all the cars had to put on their brakes along with me or there would have been a pile up.

I thought about how I could have caused a huge accident all because of a misprinted classs schedule. There's a lesson to make sure things are correct when you make them public.

I got my bearings and finally spotted an address. I found that the directions that I had gotten from the person at Starbucks were also incorrect, but he wasn't sure of his. I turned around and finally made it to class 1 1/2 hours late but I went for the last hour since I drove all that way.

I grabbed a bite to eat and stayed for the next class, and I was on time for this one!
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:55 am

Well, at least the trip wasn't a total waste. You hung in there and persisted and made one class. Had that happened to me, I would have been extremely frustrated, but hung in there anyway. But then again, a lot depends on the circumstances. At that time, I had a job interview at one of Rutgers University's huge New Brunswick campus and even though I made it to the general area, I could not find the exact building! And asking for directions was the pits. The few people I spoke to gave vague directions and one admitted that he really didn't know!

After another half hour, I thought, forget this. Do I really need a frustrating commute and what were my chances of getting that job anyway? I went home, frustrated, but relieved that I had made it safely without any accidents.

Now, had my destination been a class building, I would have persisted and reached it, no matter what! My investment of time and money had to be protected! LOL.

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:06 am

I would probably forget it too if it was a job interview. Now that I think about it, I did do that once when going to a contract assigment recruiter. I couldn't find the place and got too frustrated looking.

There's nothing worse than being lost on the way to an interview and you end up getting all stressed out before walking through the door. They are bad enough without that and how can you be cool and collected and put your best foot forward, when you've just had a meltdown, your hair is still standing on end, and you mascara is running down your cheek from perspiration after running 2 blocks from the parking lot to get there. Excuses for being late just don't cut it in interviews anyway. It not a conducive to a good first impression.

PS. I made it to my classes today AND I was on time! I may go to an extra one in the morning if I can get up early enough.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:33 am

Yay, and good for you! You are protecting a valuable investment of time and money.

And today, I still wouldn't waste my time with a long-distance, or any distance commute to a job interview. I've gone through too many of those, especially out-of-state interviews to universities in New York, Vermont, Maine and Indiana, all for nothing. It isn't worth it in the long run. Only a small minority of students is serious about education and is willing to work hard to get credentials. This minority is a joy to work with. Unfortunately, many students are still living off mommy and daddy's money, so what do they care? All of these issues have tempered my enthusiasm for teaching at the college level and now I know what one graduate school professor meant when he said that teaching wasn't fun anymore.

I don't miss it at all. Life is too short for taking guff from people who should know better, and now I've only begun to "do" life my way. I have no regrets and would change very little if I had to do it all over again.

maico886

Post by maico886 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Hey, I think I know someone in that area that just happens to be good with directions. Let me know if you ever need help!

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:26 pm

I can always use help in that area. I've lost my way too many times. That is something that I have to work on. One of my problems is that I get lost in my thoughts and end up driving by the exit.

I almost did it again recently when I saw a billboard with big arc's of rubber sticking out that looked huge tires and more pieces of rubber that looked like cheerleader pompoms. I started thinking about how it grabbed my attention and thought about the advertising concept and how the advertising agency probably pitched the idea to the company to get them to go for it. That was a funny thought.

Then all of a sudden, I came to my senses and turned on my exit just in time. I got lucky that time.
~-~-~-~-~

webwriter

Post by webwriter » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 am

Those large billboards are distracting and I'm surprised that there are not more accidents because of them.

But I've also become distracted with my thoughts. One time, I was trying to think through a problem while riding my bike and nearly rode into a parked car! That jolted me back to reality. Even now, I find there are times that I cannot help mulling over a problem and become lost in thought.