Conan Obrien replacing Jay Leno

TV, Movies, Plays, Music, Games

Moderator: Mauveduh

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Conan Obrien replacing Jay Leno

Post by Mauveduh » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:04 pm

I love Conan Obrien and watch him all of the time. He has pushed the envelope with some of his ridiculous skits and they are not always successful. Someone mentioned to me that he was getting too far out there and wasn't always funny and it was costing him but I disagree. If you are truly taking chances and being inventive, you will not always be successful with every skit because it's all experimental.

I wonder what knowing he is up for the coveted, "Tonight Show" spot in 5 years will do to influence his comedy. Will he feel the pressure to be mainstream and fit in a mold? Will he feel the need to work even harder to prove he deserves it and ramp up his comedy and take even more chances to maintain his momentum?

I've always enjoyed David Letterman too and watched him alot but find myself watching Jay Leno most of the time now. There is another thorn in the side of David Letterman who had the Conan Obrien Spot for years and never got over being snubbed as the "Tonight Show" host.
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

CHICAGOMAN68

YEAH

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:46 pm

THE ONLY THING FUNNY ABOUT THE TONIGHT SHOW with Leno is the skits and anyone can do that Leno isnt in touch with his audience . I liked lettermen when is was younger now he isnt so funny .

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:07 pm

I admit I disagree with both Chicagoman and Mauveduh to a degree. Letterman and O'brien might push the envelope with their wit and talent...however I find both of them smug, arrogant and cold-hearted. Hmm..of course sometimes that is what makes many so great.

I for one find that a warm-hearted person can have just as much talent as the arrogant ass. Why not have both these virtues?

CHICAGOMAN68

marlowe

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:13 am

marlowe just a guestion? dont you think Jay Leno is arrogant and smug?

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:45 am

I think we need a variety of comedians, including the arrogant smug type. I love that humor and it's gotten them far. Conan makes fun of everyone, including himself and his wit is sharp and quick, and sometimes biting. It may seem cold hearted but it's a form of comedy that's been around forever. Don Rickles was the king, in his time, of making fun of others. If it's not biting, then it's not effective. Is that the part that seems cold hearted? Or maybe you were referring to their personal life? Tell me more about this.

You can be the queen of biting remarks too Marlowe, when you get on a roll, and you are funnier than $%#^!! But I know it's all in fun and you have a heart of gold. :-)
~-~-~-~-~
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.--Mark Twain

CHICAGOMAN68

Post by CHICAGOMAN68 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:22 am

HEY JUST LIKE ME I HAVE A HEART OF GOLD WOO OOOO LOL DAMN my flight isn't going directly to Vegas its booked solid Now I have to go through a place CALLED SAN JOSE CALIFORNIA THEIR AND ON THE WAY BACK is this a fun city anyone KNOW LOL

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:03 pm

chicagoman...first to answer your question about Jay Leno...no, he is not smug and arrogant. And to you mauveduh, of course we need them all. All sizes, shapes and forms. Of course I mean personally about these comedians. I don't know them from Adam, so who am I to really judge them...except for my own personal tastes.

My gut tells me that Jay is nice guy and the other two are jerks in real life I am talking. Only my opinion, and I do like to form them...of course I would not join the debate team, as I know I would loose. All in fun..my loves!!

San Jose? Sucks the big one...its Silicon Valley baby. Of course I suspect you know that very well Chicagoman.

gfunkllg

conan

Post by gfunkllg » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:08 am

conan is the man

Mauveduh
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Post by Mauveduh » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:23 pm

Welcome gfunkllg,

Another Conan fan. Yeah! You've got to admire someone who does what he does every night, year after year. I remember when he first came on the scene. He had been writing for Saturday Night Live and I had never even heard of him. I wondered who in the heck he was and why did HE get the job. Now I know.
~-~-~-~-~

Xylona

Re: Conan Obrien replacing Jay Leno

Post by Xylona » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 am

I like him very much, too